MKV File "Corrupt Data"

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

MKV File "Corrupt Data"

Postby rozel » Sun May 17, 2009 12:05 am

The other night I downloaded a 15Gb .mkv file and on switching on my PS3 and PS3MS it seemed to play ok. I switched everything off until earlier this evening but when it came to play I got the "Corrupt Data" message. Not sure what gives here as it seemed to play perfectly the other evening. I had saved the dowloaded files and recompiled it but again the same message. Not sure what is wrong - other .mkv files play perfectly even over 10 Gb. I've tried playing all the transcoded files too but they get the same message.

Anyone any ideas please?

Also could someone explain what the associated md5 file is ? - I am assuming it is to check that the file is as it ought to be with no errors but never having used md5 files I am not sure how to use them. I want to ensure that the file extracted ok etc etc

Thanks in advance

roz
rozel

Re: MKV File "Corrupt Data"

Postby meskibob » Sun May 17, 2009 1:52 am

rozel wrote:The other night I downloaded a 15Gb .mkv file and on switching on my PS3 and PS3MS it seemed to play ok. I switched everything off until earlier this evening but when it came to play I got the "Corrupt Data" message. Not sure what gives here as it seemed to play perfectly the other evening. I had saved the dowloaded files and recompiled it but again the same message. Not sure what is wrong - other .mkv files play perfectly even over 10 Gb. I've tried playing all the transcoded files too but they get the same message.
Anyone any ideas please?
Need the debug.log, and the MediaInfo for the file will probably help too.
rozel wrote:Also could someone explain what the associated md5 file is ? - I am assuming it is to check that the file is as it ought to be with no errors but never having used md5 files I am not sure how to use them. I want to ensure that the file extracted ok etc etc
It's more commonly used to verify the identity of a file to show that you have intended file instead of a fake file that has been maliciously tampered. You just compare the file's hash number to the hash number provided by the creators of the file.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rozel » Sun May 17, 2009 10:39 am

Thank you for taking the time to look into this meskibob, much appreciated. It was late last night when I tried to play it - you know the score, got the wine out, dimmed the lights, brought down the big screen, turned everything on and then nothing! Needless to say we went to bed early!

Video details: -

RELEASE.NAME..: The.Curious.Case.of.Benjamin.Button.2008.1080p.BluRay.
DTS.x264-ESiR
RELEASE.DATE..: 11.05.2009
THEATRE.DATE..: 10.12.2008
RUNTiME.......: 2:46:02
SiZE..........: 15 GB
ViDEO.CODEC...: x264
FRAMERATE.....: 23.976
BiTRATE.......: 11000 kbps
RESOLUTiON....: 1920x800 (2.40:1)
AUDiO.........: English DTS 5.1 1.5 Mbps
AUDiO.........: English Commentary Track Vorbis 2.0
SUBTiTLES.....: English, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Greek, Hungarian,
Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Serbian, Slovenian,
Spanish
SOURCE........: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 2008 1080p Blu-ray
AVC DTS-HD-MA 5.1

I thought you would ask for the debug file - It is rather long and I'm not sure how I should upload this so if after looking at the above, you still need it to give me the reason why it won't play, please tell me how to do this. I've tried to upload it as a text file but it was rejected and I've tried searching for the correct method without success.

Oh and could you explain how I should do, in practice, what you advised re the md5 file please - have no experience whatsoever here :-)
Any further help would be appreciated.

roz
rozel

Postby rozel » Sun May 17, 2009 11:43 am

Well here's a thing - I just recompiled the file once more from the .rar set and this time extracted it to the same folder where the .rar files were located on an external drive and tried once more - this time it played perfectly!

When I originally extracted it and played it (it played ok), I then transfered it to an internal drive thinking it would play better - it didn't play. And when I extracted it last night, I extracted it to the same internal drive - again it didn't play.

But when played from the same drive as where it was originally downloaded to, it plays perfectly.

What is happening here ?

I obviously will keep it where it is for now, until we have watched it but there is nothing wrong with my drives and other files transfer correctly - so why the problem in this instance? Think I need to know much more about md5 files please.

roz
rozel

Postby silicon » Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 am

Sounds like a bad sector or sub sector in your internal drive? Time for a sector fix maybe? :o
Join My Informative & Helpful Fuss! http://gamersuniverse.bestbb.net
silicon

Return to General Help and Support