This is driving me nutz and keeping me from enjoying an otherwise brilliant piece of software. I have seen mention of this specific but no resolution that works (I must have checked a hundred pages on these forums). Here is the problem:
When I open a folder of videos on my PS3 (via PS3 MS), all videos are listed fine (No slow down in listing them or scrolling). But the thumbnails only draw 10 (approx) at a time and when I scroll down it draw the thumbs for the newly visible items - BUT when I scroll back to the top the first thumbs are gone and its starts redrawing them again (takes a sec or so for each). So there are never more then 10 thumbs or so - it must always redraw when i scroll or go to a new folder.
WHAT I HAVE DONE:
- I have checked 'Enable the Media Library' option in PS3 MS (i clicked 'reset media library' as well). Aside from checking that box - am i supposed to do anything else for the media library?
- I have tried with folder.jpg (a smallish 35KB jpg) for some folders (i.e. TV show) and although it does use that jpg instead of generating a thumb, I STILL get the same problem of constantly redrawing/regenerating as I scroll. I have also used this folder.jpg file WITH and WITHOUT Thumbnails Generation checked - no difference.
- I have tried without folder.jpg, with Thumbnails Generation checked. Still same problem.
- I have tried all of the above with 'Use MPlayer for Video Thumbnails' and it doesn't make a difference.
- I have tried restarting PS3 MS and the PS3 when these changes were made
So what am I missing? The only answer I have seen mentioned on the forums is something like: "check the 'enable the Media Library' option and that will only cause the generation of thumbs to happen only once". Well I have tried that and it doesn't work - still redraws slowishly whenever I scroll. BTW: When this option is checked I am not sure if I am supposed to go into my normal shared folder on the PS3 (i have a'Video' folder that I added via PS3MS shared folders) or the 'Media Library' folder that appears - but either way it the same problem.
Everything else works great. No problems transcoding and I am getting great network performance via my Wifi.
I am using:
PS3 Media Server 1.10.51
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800+, 2GHz
2 GB RAM
Thanks in advance to anybody that can help - and apologies in advance if I am missing something obvious.