Router Questions

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Router Questions

Postby MacMan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:06 pm

I have a lot of "shuttering Audio / video" I assume it is mostly because because my router is only 802.11B. My goal with this program is to stream internet radio and not necessarily video. I understand that I can get the higher speeds wired, but not sure that will ever be an option since I'm using a laptop. I do need a new router and was wondering if something like the Airport Extreme would help. If I can get get good quality audio, I'm happy. I can copy video to the PS3 if needed.

Powerbook 2.4 GHZ
2GB 667 MHZ Ram
MacMan
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby pmos69 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:32 am

with 802.11A or G you should be able to stream even 1080p videos.
pmos69
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby jeffwhalen » Tue May 05, 2009 3:28 pm

pmos69 wrote:with 802.11A or G you should be able to stream even 1080p videos.

I find that hard to believe. I had issues with SD video on wireless G. Now, that was with .mp4 files, and we all know the issues ps3 has with those. My solution to fix stuttering was, I bought an Airport express N and plugged it into my PS3, and linked that with my Airport extreme N. No issues anymore, even with streaming 1080p content.
jeffwhalen
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby pmos69 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 pm

As I said in another post,

Use sensible settings and you can do 1080p streaming with 802.11G if you have a good signal.
If you can have 802.11N, better.

My settings:
keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2
Max bandwidth: 25Mbps
Using 802.11G router on another room.

No stuttering on 1080p.
It all depends on the wi-fi signal strength.
A small drop in signal strength and the wi-fi bandwidth will drop exponentially.
Don't expect to do 1080p streaming even with 802.11N if you don't have a good signal.
pmos69
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby MacMan » Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Thanks for the guidance. I apology for the late delay as I have been out of town. Looks like I have two paths, to try. I will obviously get the "N" modem and depending on signal strength I can also get a airport express
MacMan
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby ujin » Sat May 30, 2009 6:24 am

pmos69 wrote:As I said in another post,

Use sensible settings and you can do 1080p streaming with 802.11G if you have a good signal.
If you can have 802.11N, better.

My settings:
keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2
Max bandwidth: 25Mbps
Using 802.11G router on another room.

No stuttering on 1080p.
It all depends on the wi-fi signal strength.
A small drop in signal strength and the wi-fi bandwidth will drop exponentially.
Don't expect to do 1080p streaming even with 802.11N if you don't have a good signal.



pmos69,

I've tried your settings for 1080p on my wireless. Ps3 detect signal 100% from my belkin g modem router. 720p works fine. but 1080p plays for a while and then stutters.

Are you able to stream wireless 1080p without stutter?
If so what am i doing wrong as I've tried your settings above to no avail!

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers!
ujin
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby pmos69 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:46 pm

yes I am able to.
try reducing the bandwidth to 20Mbps
pmos69
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Router Questions

Postby ujin » Sun May 31, 2009 6:11 am

pmos69 wrote:yes I am able to.
try reducing the bandwidth to 20Mbps


Cheers mate, I'll try that!
ujin
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 pm


Return to Mac OS X Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests