Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Has anyone tested other streaming clients with new PMS 1.11?

Postby shagrath » Fri May 08, 2009 11:32 am

no, it was just some explanations...
about the spec, I got some pdfs but the quickest move would be to sniff the TV with a working dlna server, and with a given scenario: start the TV, browse folders, play a working video... (I already got one trace, but another one could help)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ajd » Fri May 08, 2009 2:51 pm

Its hard to please everyone :S

I would like to help and so it may be good to give out a list of the things that would be useful in order for people to test their telly's against?

So the Debug output would be good. Any debug flags on starting the binary that could give more information?
Information about the system you are running (OS, Version of the binary for the PS3M server)
Television version and method of connect? (I guess that goes for all renderers)
Render file changes (if applicable)
Any graphical front end changes that can be seen perhaps

I assume at least those things would be great.
ajd

Postby astifr » Fri May 08, 2009 6:03 pm

shagrath wrote:no, it was just some explanations...
about the spec, I got some pdfs but the quickest move would be to sniff the TV with a working dlna server, and with a given scenario: start the TV, browse folders, play a working video... (I already got one trace, but another one could help)

This weekend i will try to sniff with twonky, nero and PMS and send you the capture.

With twonky and nero i think that only mpeg2 videos work.
astifr

Postby orthonovum » Fri May 08, 2009 7:22 pm

shagrath wrote:to sum up:

Only the PS3, Xbox360 and Popcorn Hour have been succesfully reported as working media renderers
These TVs seems to need a server who is very respectful of the dlna spec 1.0... or ps3 media server is NOT really good at this
the server implements some parts of the spec, but not all of them (maybe I should rectify the description of the google code project btw)
twonky, nero and minidlna seems the best servers out there regarding this aspect (mediatomb as well I guess)

as a side note so far I have tried:

mediatomb
tonky
TVersity

and none of them will actually stream anything to the Samsung TV although I can see the directories, browse them, and even get thumbnails :)

so PMS is not the only one having "trouble" sending data to TVs
orthonovum

Postby astifr » Sat May 09, 2009 10:56 am

I am sending my captures to ps3mediaserver at gmail.
astifr

Postby ajd » Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 am

orthonovum wrote:

Only the PS3, Xbox360 and Popcorn Hour have been succesfully reported as working media renderers
These TVs seems to need a server who is very respectful of the dlna spec 1.0... or ps3 media server is NOT really good at this
the server implements some parts of the spec, but not all of them (maybe I should rectify the description of the google code project btw)
twonky, nero and minidlna seems the best servers out there regarding this aspect (mediatomb as well I guess)

mediatomb
tonky
TVersity

and none of them will actually stream anything to the Samsung TV although I can see the directories, browse them, and even get thumbnails :)

OK, Interesting. I just tried Elgato's EyeConnect software which also seems to be a DLNA Server for the MAC, and it runs as a Service in perferences (PS3M MocOS people - That would be cool to have). I now am able to browse pictures and all my music. However like yourself I am not able to play of listen to any of it. It makes me wonder what the Bravia accepts as a valid format to output or do something with. The Manual is useless as is the online documentation. I will have to mail Sony to see if they are still pushing Atrac or some other wierdness.
ajd

Postby astifr » Sat May 09, 2009 4:43 pm

ajd wrote:
orthonovum wrote:

mediatomb
tonky
TVersity

OK, Interesting. I just tried Elgato's EyeConnect software which also seems to be a DLNA Server for the MAC, and it runs as a Service in perferences (PS3M MocOS people - That would be cool to have). I now am able to browse pictures and all my music. However like yourself I am not able to play of listen to any of it. It makes me wonder what the Bravia accepts as a valid format to output or do something with. The Manual is useless as is the online documentation. I will have to mail Sony to see if they are still pushing Atrac or some other wierdness.

With my Sony bravia v5500 i can wacth mpeg2 videos or jpg pictures with twonky media and with nero media home.
astifr

Postby ajd » Mon May 11, 2009 3:53 pm

astifr wrote:
With my Sony bravia v5500 i can wacth mpeg2 videos or jpg pictures with twonky media and with nero media home.

I just tried Nero's HomeMedia product on my work laptop and I can indeed play music and look at Pictures. Not tried video.

I wonder what the differnce is?
ajd

Postby otmanix » Mon May 11, 2009 7:06 pm

If you want to help please provide a wireshark network trace of a working communication with your TV as mentioned before in this thread.
http://wiki.wireshark.org/
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby astifr » Wed May 13, 2009 12:35 pm

otmanix wrote:If you want to help please provide a wireshark network trace of a working communication with your TV as mentioned before in this thread.
http://wiki.wireshark.org/

I sent on Saturday my captures, somebody recive it?
astifr

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers