How to create a dynamic playlist with Media Player.

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

How to create a dynamic playlist with Media Player.

Postby IT_Monkey » Sat May 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I would just like to say thank you for making such an awesome program! The only thing it seems to be lacking is playlist functionality. Since files are stored remotely the PS3 can't make or create playlist it self. So i found a way around it using windows media player. I made a sub-folder of playlist files in M3U format that WMP manages. The PS3 reads the M3u files, locates them and plays them. Windows Media Player is only used as a M3U text editor so no service protocols are required on it's part. Here's how to set it up.

1) Create a sub-folder you can access easily from your PS3. Name it something like !Playlist so it sits on top all folders.

2) Create M3U files within the !Playlist folder by adding .TXT files named after each playlist. Then just change the file extension to .M3U.

3) These .M3U files must be added to Windows Media Player so make sure you add the !playlist folder to your library. After you share them they will show up as playlist and the files/.M3U will update dynamically like any other playlist.

I hope this works for you as it does for me. Let me know if you are having trouble setting it up.

IT_Monkey
IT_Monkey

Re: How to create a dynamic playlist with Media Player.

Postby digmaster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks for the tip mate, works like a charm (I've been looking for a way to do this for ages)!

Alternatively, instead of renaming the Playlist folder, you can just point to it in the Navigation/Share Settings tab then it stands independently on the XMB.

EDIT: Now, does anybody know how to, if possible, group music content so you can shuffle randomly through tracks in your entire collection using the server (a bit like "Group All" on the PS3 or "Songs" in WMP)? Or maybe I need to start a new thread on this topic!

Any help much appreciated. Cheers!

Ooops, sorry my bad. Just found the Media Library! :oops:
System:
Intel Core 2Duo T7250 2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB Internal HDD - 500GB External HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT GPU, Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
Setup:
PC wireless g -> Linksys WRT54G router -> wired PS3 60GB launch model
digmaster

Postby zakerrman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:19 pm

could you explain this a little clearer- i think this is what i'm looking for but i only learned what a M3U file was today.

your help would be much appreciated and i would give you big respect!
zakerrman

Postby digmaster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:03 am

zakerrman wrote:could you explain this a little clearer- i think this is what i'm looking for but i only learned what a M3U file was today.

your help would be much appreciated and i would give you big respect!

I've PM'd you
System:
Intel Core 2Duo T7250 2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB Internal HDD - 500GB External HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT GPU, Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
Setup:
digmaster

Postby ShootingBlanks » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm trying to do something like this as well, but am also pretty novice. I created a M3U playlist, but now I'm lost. I can't get it to show up on the PS3. Can you PM me with details too (or just reply back in this thread)? Thanks!
ShootingBlanks

Postby digmaster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:04 pm

ShootingBlanks wrote:I'm trying to do something like this as well, but am also pretty novice. I created a M3U playlist, but now I'm lost. I can't get it to show up on the PS3. Can you PM me with details too (or just reply back in this thread)? Thanks!

Hello mate,

OK here's what you need to do:

1. Create a folder called "Playlists" within in your Music folder (or wherever you keep your music).

2. Create a text file using Notepad or Wordpad with this line included:

#EXTM3U

It's this line that tells Media Player the file is a Playlist. Save the file as "Playlist 1.m3u" or whatever you want to call it. But don't forget to add the .m3u at the end of the title otherwise it will save as a text file.

3. Drop this file into the Playlists folder you just created

4. Open Media Player and you should see the new playlist on the left. If not then you need to add the folder to your library by going to the arrow under the "Library" tab > "Add to Library" and then just do a scan of your music folder.

5. When you can see the playlist on the left, just start adding songs as you would normally using Media Player.

6. Start PS3 Media Server. On the Navigation/Share Settings tab, add the Playlist folder to the shared folders bit. Save and re start PS3 Media Server, Start up your PS3 and enjoy your playlists!

Media Player creates playlists in WPL format which I don't think PS3 recognises so when you want another playlist you just need to Copy/Paste your m3u file then delete the songs out of it in Media Player.

Good luck, let me know if you need any more help and I'll send through one of my files or something.
System:
Setup:
digmaster

Postby ivrige » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi!

I got this to work, only there is a problem when i try to enter the playlist from my ps3. I find it allright, but there suddenly is 100 folders named !PLAYLIST when i enter the first folder. Any fix for this?
ivrige

Postby skipcoombe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:25 am

ivrige wrote:Hi!

I got this to work, only there is a problem when i try to enter the playlist from my ps3. I find it allright, but there suddenly is 100 folders named !PLAYLIST when i enter the first folder. Any fix for this?

Great app! Great thread!

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I notice if there is 1 mp3 entry I see 1 replication of !Playlists folder (above the mp3 icon).
If there are are 2 mp3's, there are 2 (also above the first mp3 icon), and so on.

Also, each of the the !Playlists folders opens up into the mp3 files and an equal number !Playlists
folders. This is recursive.

This is a cosmetic problem, but I'd like to fix it.

Skip
skipcoombe

Postby Uridium » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 pm

I'll have to give your method a go and create a couple of dynamically updated playlists...Sounds good :-)

In the meantime method below won't give you Dynamically updated playlists if that's what you really want but if you just want to stream simple playlists of tracks then try this......

Just download this free app http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

create your playlist with that app and Save as a .PLS playlist into a folder that is PS3MS shared. (I just have a folder named "Playlists" sitting in my top level shared Music folder)
Uridium

Postby skipcoombe » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:40 pm

This worked great for me. I can do without the "dynamic" function.

Thanks,

Skip
skipcoombe

Next

Return to General Discussion