Stuttering playback

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stuttering playback

Postby Jefe514 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:43 am

I seem to not be able to stop my HD videos (1080 or 720, both have symptoms) from stuttering. I've read the FAQ and some tips here and tried lowering quality and limiting bandwith to 15 Mbps for my wi-fi, yet when I am playing videos they jump all the way up to the 40's and 50's and sometimes even higher. This happens with tsmuxer and mencoder. Any input on why I can't limit the bandwidth? I think my processor can handle the load so I'm guessing it's the bandwidth that's the problem.

System:

Intel core i7 920 @2.66GHz
6 GB DDR3 Memory
Vista Ult. x64
PS3MS version 1.10.51
Using wireless G connection to PS3
Jefe514

Re: Stuttering playback

Postby otmanix » Sun May 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Eventually PMS doesn't transcode videos but mux them. Then transcoding settings with limiting bandwith won't work. On WIFI you get a maximum of 35Mb/s which won't fit for many HD-videos. You have to enforce transcoding. But take care. You will need more CPU-power. You should have a look at per core cpu utilization when stuttering occurs during transcoding. When one core is at 100% you may save resources with using avysynth/coreavc, with or wiithout CUDA.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby LongbowFoSho » Sun May 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Streaming HD content wirelessly to the PS3 with ANY media server is nearly impossible and a waste of time. Save yourself some time and frustration and either A: stream it wired or B: buy a powerline adapter and stream it that way. Otherwise, enjoy making yourself miserable. I know, I've done it and won't do it again.
LongbowFoSho

Postby otmanix » Sun May 03, 2009 7:08 pm

I agree. You can use transcoding with less quality and bandwith settings but there are limits. This is working with most HD movie trailers and some 720p movies (with low bitrate) but a real movie in Full HD with fast action scenes - no way...
In that case use DLAN or LAN as suggested in last comment.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
otmanix

Postby Jefe514 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 am

ok so I got coreAVC, how do I enable it in PS3MS? Also, how do I force transcoding? Thanks for the replies...
Jefe514

Postby otmanix » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Here's a howto for Avisynth, ffdshow and coravc from me: http://otmanix.de/2009/04/19/java-ps3-media-server-fuer-dummies-teil-5-videolan-und-avisynth/
Sorry, only available in German language...

here's a short description from PMS readme:
B) Using Avisynth/FFDshow. Paired with CoreAVC, it's quite efficient with multi cores.
1- If not already done, get and install a codec pack with ffdshow (VSfilter must be included for subtitles).
My favorite is CCCP Codec Pack [http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp]
2- Get and install AVISynth 2.5.7 (I've met some framerate problems with 2.5.8 betas)
[http://downloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/Avisynth_257.exe?modtime=1168199840&big_mirror=0]
3- Set up the FFDShow Audio Mixer to 5.1 (3/0/2 LFE)
4- Set "Autoload VS Filter" to true
5- Configure Haali Splitter (audio/subtitles language priorities)
Optional Codecs: CoreAVC is a good choice for H264 decoding, Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative are also useful (Apple 1080p trailers for example).

You can enforce transcoding in two ways:
a) set avisynth/mencoder as default video engine, save, restart PMS
b) go to virtual folder #transcoded# in your PS3 menu, select file and transcoding engine avisynth/mencoder
otmanix

Postby chelanxar » Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi. I've been trying to do what you said, but I can't see CoreAVC as one of the transcode settings. I've followed step one through 5, what should I do? Or am I misunderstanding something?

P.S. I'm using the latest beta.
chelanxar

Postby chelanxar » Thu May 13, 2010 5:31 pm

ok... seeing as no answers i have one more question, would it be better or worse to use a 200mbps av homeplug instead of the router itself?

Also, and yes this does sound stupid, but do i plug it into the router to still get the ps3 media server, or do i plug it straight to my computer?
chelanxar

Postby RuthlessRealm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 am

I had the same problem for the longest... I finally figured it out, on my setup at least. I also have the i7, the way I figured it out was I downloaded a gadget for Windows called All CPU Meter (not for this reason, but it's what made me notice what was happening) and noticed that when I was streaming my all 8 Cores of my CPU were maxing out for every studder, until the PS3 video completely freezes and the cores are all completely stuck at 100% until I restart the PS3 Media server in services. Try this I hope it helps, Open PS3 Media Server program-> go to the Transcoding Settings. Look at the setting that says "Number of cores used for transcoding (it seems you have 8), my setting was at 8, I changed it to 4-> click save-> restart server-> also if you have it installed as a service you might also want to go to services and restart the PS3 media server service-> then vuala no more studdering, and now the cores don't even come close to being stressed. Another thing I did was went to services (click the Windows logo bubble and type services) open services-> scroll to the "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience"- double click and set to Automatic-> click Start. I've been off and on working on this issue for months, and got sick of hooking my PC directly to my TV. Although those of you using Wireless G might have a problem, my peak bitrate was 64Mb/s, and Wireless G maxes out at 54Mb/s so you might want to wire your PC via ethernet. The movie I streamed was a 1080P .MKV IMAX movie using the MEncoder as the Video file Engine.

Thought I'd mention, my PC is running wireless while my PS3 is wired, I will setup the PS3 wireless as well and report back if the studder also stops happening when the PS3 is set to wireless.
RuthlessRealm

Return to General Help and Support