"The Data is Corrupted"

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

"The Data is Corrupted"

Postby mrosanes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:54 am

Hi all,

I've begun ripping most of my DVDs w/ Handbrake (.9.3) using the default settings for 'PS3'. the files themselves will play on the PS3 just fine if i copy to the hard drive or play off a USB keychain, however, i'm never able to successfully play these files via PS3 Media Server. I know that PS3MS is working because i can still watch older vids i ripped a long time ago (.mpg, .wmv) etc.

I've got PS3MS set at default settings, so i'm unsure what to do next. I've heard many have great success with this software, so i'm hoping i can join the crowd. i'm very new to understanding transcoding and such (not even sure what it is).

are there any step-by-step tutorials for someone like me?

any help is appreciated!
mrosanes

Re: "The Data is Corrupted"

Postby j2048b » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:16 am

There is a posting above yours that explains that there may be something wrong with the newer version of handbrake!!

try reverting back to the older .0.9.2 version and see if that helps!!

also on the first page of transcoding settings tab:

on the left of the screen click : common trnscode settings and go to the bottom of the page (you may have to grab the bottom right hand corner of the page and drag the application bigger ( i hope you know what i mean?)

on the bottom there will be 3 things you can do:

1. disable subtitles
2. skip transcoding for following extensions and
3. (the one that may help) FORCE TRANSCODING FOR FOLLOWING EXTENSIONS

try adding in any corruptable data movie formats such as mp4, or m4v,

i have to do this with my m4v,mp4's and they work great
j2048b

Postby mrosanes » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Yes, i've encoded using .9.2 and .9.1 before, using the PS3 presets. Those rips do not seem to work as well, still getting that 'data corrupted' error on the PS3.

i've also tried your suggestions (disable subtitles, and forcing transcode) but no luck. for that text box i put in 'm4v,m4p' as well as '.m4v,.mp4' after another time. for both instances i saved and restarted HTTP server and have not had any luck either.

any one have any other ideas? i'd love to pay for this software if i could just get it to work for me! :)
mrosanes

Postby j2048b » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:03 pm

mrosanes wrote:Yes, i've encoded using .9.2 and .9.1 before, using the PS3 presets. Those rips do not seem to work as well, still getting that 'data corrupted' error on the PS3.

i've also tried your suggestions (disable subtitles, and forcing transcode) but no luck. for that text box i put in 'm4v,m4p' as well as '.m4v,.mp4' after another time. for both instances i saved and restarted HTTP server and have not had any luck either.

any one have any other ideas? i'd love to pay for this software if i could just get it to work for me! :)

dont use the (dot) before the file example:

.m4v

use the original one you tried:

m4v, and then add anything after the comma,

in your case:)

BUT>>>>

it would be what ever ones are not playing such as in your case: :lol:

wma,mpg :D

try those instead of the ones I NEEDED TO ADD!! (m4v,mp4)

let me know how it goes :D

if it is m4v,mp4 then just put those in there, and when you go onto your ps3 folders, they should all show up as mpeg2's now and not m4v's or avi's, or wma's or mpg's

hope it works!!
j2048b

Postby mrosanes » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:08 pm

j2048b wrote:BUT>>>>

if it is m4v,mp4 then just put those in there, and when you go onto your ps3 folders, they should all show up as mpeg2's now and not m4v's or avi's, or wma's or mpg's

hope it works!!

strangely, wma and some old mpg files (not encoded by handbrake) seem to work; i've never had to force encoding on those files. it is the newer mp4 and m4v files that i've encoded w/ the handbrake ps3 format that do not seem to play. if i copy the files and play them off the hard drive it works. i've tried Nullriver MediaLink and the same files will play, though the stuttering video over wireless makes it unusable.

when i see the mp4 and m4v files on the ps3 through PS3MS, it does show up mpeg-2, but i never get them to play.

is there another preset i should consider ripping to? i'm not opposed to re-ripping my DVDs since i'm only about 10 deep so far. i just need a preset that will work for me. not sure if it matters but i'm sharing the files off a dualcore g5 tower, leopard 10.5.6.
mrosanes

Postby j2048b » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:35 pm

mrosanes wrote:
j2048b wrote:BUT>>>>

hope it works!!

strangely, wma and some old mpg files (not encoded by handbrake) seem to work; i've never had to force encoding on those files. it is the newer mp4 and m4v files that i've encoded w/ the handbrake ps3 format that do not seem to play. if i copy the files and play them off the hard drive it works. i've tried Nullriver MediaLink and the same files will play, though the stuttering video over wireless makes it unusable.

when i see the mp4 and m4v files on the ps3 through PS3MS, it does show up mpeg-2, but i never get them to play.

is there another preset i should consider ripping to? i'm not opposed to re-ripping my DVDs since i'm only about 10 deep so far. i just need a preset that will work for me. not sure if it matters but i'm sharing the files off a dualcore g5 tower, leopard 10.5.6.

just because you've never had to enforce encoding before, doesnt mean anything.

they are changing the ps3ms as they update versions, just like you, i never had to force encoding either until a certain update, then BAM!! i had to!!

as far as the data corrupted files go:

try to re play them after it says data corrupted, it has worked for a few of mine. After it says data corrupted, hit the stop button (square, on the controller) and hit play again after you get back to the movie!!

try to encode to the apple tv setting, not the ps3 setting, leave everything as is in handbrake and encode a movie,

then try to play it through ps3ms, dont forget to force encoding of m4v,mp4
the apple tv setting for me has produced a way better picture than ps3 setting has, and all of mine are apple tv setting and work!!

then look at my other post to set up PS3MS as i have it:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1951

in this post my self and pkdowning where having a few problems with no sound and stuttering, set up ps3ms as i have it laid out and try to see if everything works?

even a few handbrake apple tv rips on version 9.3 were not in sync until i tried each setting one by one until i got it PERFECT!!!

i am using version 1.11 not any beta versions because they are just that!! BETA, not stable!!
j2048b

Postby mrosanes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:11 am

man, you must be one very lucky person, but i've tried all your suggestions as detailed in your settings post, but iv'e had no luck still. i've ripped a few of my shows via appletv settings as mentioned, and nothing. same old data is corrupted error. hmm not sure what i could be doing incorrectly. i did notice on the 'status' tab, the transcoding buffer status will go from empty, to 0 bytes and back to empty.

anyone know where i can get a handbrake .9.2 dl? the site only has .9.1

at least i can see my photos! :roll:

thanks in advance.
mrosanes

Postby j2048b » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 am

mrosanes wrote:man, you must be one very lucky person, but i've tried all your suggestions as detailed in your settings post, but iv'e had no luck still. i've ripped a few of my shows via appletv settings as mentioned, and nothing. same old data is corrupted error. hmm not sure what i could be doing incorrectly. i did notice on the 'status' tab, the transcoding buffer status will go from empty, to 0 bytes and back to empty.

anyone know where i can get a handbrake .9.2 dl? the site only has .9.1

at least i can see my photos! :roll:

thanks in advance.

what is your ps3's set up like? wireless or connect with cable?

also what type of wireless/internet connection are you using?

There may be a lot of other systems around yours causing it to be sporadic?

What settings do you have on in the main ps3 settings area?
j2048b

Postby mrosanes » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:13 pm

j2048b wrote:what is your ps3's set up like? wireless or connect with cable?

My PS3 is a 60GB launch console, wireless. wireless router is ATT Uverse (wireless G i believe). i'd love to hardwire the thing but it is going through 2 rooms from my den. i've never had lag on games and such and my mac mini that is wireless in the same room (nor my macbook from that same seating area) ever have lag problems w/ video). signal strength is still very good.

i'm not sure what you mean by manin ps3 settings area. it does see the PS3 media server (and Nullriver media link for that matter), but w/ Media Server i'm just getting data corrupted errors. i can however see photos so the software is working for me in one way.
mrosanes

Postby j2048b » Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 pm

mrosanes wrote:
j2048b wrote:what is your ps3's set up like? wireless or connect with cable?

My PS3 is a 60GB launch console, wireless. wireless router is ATT Uverse (wireless G i believe). i'd love to hardwire the thing but it is going through 2 rooms from my den. i've never had lag on games and such and my mac mini that is wireless in the same room (nor my macbook from that same seating area) ever have lag problems w/ video). signal strength is still very good.

i'm not sure what you mean by manin ps3 settings area. it does see the PS3 media server (and Nullriver media link for that matter), but w/ Media Server i'm just getting data corrupted errors. i can however see photos so the software is working for me in one way.

well since the ps3 is seeing the ps3ms, then disregard the question of how you have the ps3 set up

i am really lost as to why yours would always say data corrupted?

what file formats are you trying to use?

and what is at the top in p3s as far as encoders goes?
(mencoder,tsmuxer and so on?)
j2048b

Next

Return to Mac OS X Support