Can transcode or streaming use up download quota on ur ISP?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can transcode or streaming use up download quota on ur ISP?

Postby evo007 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 am

Hi all,

This could be a really bad question, but i need to rule it out. I have a severe download usage problem, where in the last 2 months
(current month and previous month) i have gone over my peak download quota of 25gig and are shaped back to 64k.

An example is yesterday i watched "Master and Commander" - blu ray rip in MKV file which i watched via streaming it from my PC to PS3 obviously using the media server. At that time i had no torrents being downloaded, no browsers open, no other network activity that i would have known about. I have wireless disabled on my router as i dont have a need to use it yet.

Surely there is no possible way that the media server can use up any ISP download quota in streaming/transcoding?

i use the following:

Billion 7404 vnpx router (gigabit ports)
intel pentium 4 - 3.20ghz, 3gig ram
using latest version of the media server - 1.10.51

apologies in advance if its a stupid question, im basically just trying to rule out everything to find the issue.

thanks
evo007

Re: Can transcode or streaming use up download quota on ur ISP?

Postby Topguy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am

Streaming should not affect your ISP quota at all. All traffic is only between PC and PS3, unless you use the web-folders.
Topguy

Re: Can transcode or streaming use up download quota on ur ISP?

Postby skincarver » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Actually, i have seen routers (and i own one) which route traffic through isp if NAT is off (set up as bridge only). Any decent router should handle things right though, but as a worst case scenario, i'd say this is possible if your router has shi.. erm, bad firmware. With ie. 10/10Mbps line you wont necessary even notice this behaviour with SD content. But again, this is highly unlikely to happen.
skincarver

Return to General Help and Support