What is up with Universal Media Server?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

What is up with Universal Media Server?

Postby crakarjax » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:01 pm

I stumbled upon it when trying to debug some PMS problems, as it obviously has a lot of the same problems. Just wondering what the backstory is there -- why did subjumk fork instead of contribute to PMS? Does anyone have experience with it vs PMS?

It def. seems to have more frequent releases, which I like. I think I'll give it a shot, mainly because every time I upgrade PMS I have to debug stuff, which is annoying.
crakarjax

Re: What is up with Universal Media Server?

Postby mazey » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 am

personally ive tried both and they run the same, i stick with ps3 media server because i like the video thumbnails better (dark grey on black works really well white on black doesnt), it runs 64 bit out of the box it doesnt come with all the bloatware ums comes with if it works fine i prefer less updates if something is broken i always let the developers know straight away so they can revert the code or work around it which they have always done plus i have been here forever. the only option i would of liked to see its not really a necessity but would be nice is the option to name the server something else in the gui, ums has it but its not a game changer for me. right now i think 1.90.2 should be released asap because all of the engines got updated that alone makes it worthy to be released.
Last edited by mazey on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Re: What is up with Universal Media Server?

Postby ExSport » Fri May 09, 2014 3:39 pm

I like the both, PSM and UMS and I am glad when the best from both are mirrored to each other as I always did when I wrote some little code. But your comment mazey seems little bit not objective ;)
In past SubJunk already stated the reasons why he forked it. Today I read it also here, well described:
http://sourceforge.net/blog/march-2014-potm/
I have installed both but will not write here which is better to not make flame for any side. It is upon users what prefer.
ExSport

Return to General Discussion