Last.Fm scrobbling support

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Re: Last.Fm scrobbling support

Postby skincarver » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 pm

This is the only feature i _really_ want, it would make this perfect gem even more shiny. One approach is to tail debug.log, get currently playing song and scrobble it with lastfmsubmitd, or something, i might try that some evening. Still, "native" support for scrobbling would be best, and there's several java libraries available.

shagrath wrote:well, with this, it seems you are playing last.fm on the computer, not the ps3 ?

Just to make sure there are no mixups in here.. :P Last.fm scrobbling is completely different animal compared to last.fm radio etc. Basically scrobbling is about collecting statistics from what you play locally and how often and so on. It also puts Now playing info to your last.fm profile. Great thing about this is that you get detailed charts about your listening habits. Technically speaking last.fm client is somewhat simple, it needs login information, client identification key and some metadata from the song to send to last.fm. Phew :P On some other thread someone said that this feature would be unnecessary and not wanted because of possibility to stream content to multiple clients with different users (is it even implemented, or planned yet?) Well, that should be no problem to make scrobbler and scrobbling multi-user..

That's about it, hopefully this gets implemented.
skincarver

Postby Phate666 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 pm

As I said before, I already make everything work, we only need a dev who integrates it to the offical source code
Phate666

Postby shagrath » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 pm

ok, I think I get it

but the patch you provided does supports only transcoded audio tracks? what about basic mp3s ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Phate666 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:09 am

It only works if you force mp3s to be transcoded, i.e. by adding the "mp3" extension to the array in OGG.java.
Phate666

Postby EvilAaron » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:04 pm

I have been wishing to be able to scrobble my PMS music plays to my last.fm account. I don't care so much if I can stream Last.fm radio but I want scrobble statistics support on my PS3 bad. Not bad enough to transcode lossy formats like mp3 though. I guess decoding to PCM and serving that wouldnt be to bad but can it happen without transcoding the audio files I am serving up?

Eitherway big up to this becoming a reality, please do add this feature, I know many people that would want it, there is a whole last.fm group petitioning Sony and Last.fm to add official scrobble support, but this could fill that void.
EvilAaron

Postby shagrath » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:14 pm

the patch will be reworked to support all audio tracks. some changes in the core classes may be needed as well
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Phate666 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:13 am

I attached my patch, it has been created using eclipse "Create Patch" menu, so it should be no problem to apply it. The jar file goes into the "lib" directory.
Attachments
lastfm.zip
(89.42 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Phate666

Postby Liontiger » Fri May 08, 2009 5:18 pm

i managed to patch my PMS source with this but the Last.FM engine is not activated :/ i tried using the activate engine button but it didn't work

how can i use it?

or are there any news concerning official implementation of last.FM in PMS?
Liontiger

Postby Snorfle » Mon May 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Any updates with this? I'm not even sure how to apply the patch...
Snorfle

Postby adamprocter » Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 pm

this sounds cool - i am right in thinking this patch adds scrobble support for tracks played on ps3 via ps3 media server ?
adamprocter

PreviousNext

Return to Additions and Plugins