Change from wireless to wired connection

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Change from wireless to wired connection

Postby EDX442 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:20 am

Hi. I've somehow set up PS3 Media Server and it's all fully working, except for some large 1080p videos that have constant stuttering that starts within a minute of playing them. Through reading up on it a bit, I've decided to connect my laptop to my ps3 with an ethernet cable (that should give a faster connection, right?) Would doing this override the wireless connection from my pc to ps3 or will I have to set something else up to do this? Excuse the noobness.
EDX442

Re: Change from wireless to wired connection

Postby meskibob » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:26 pm

You'll need to do some configuration for a direct connection, but it will give you larger bandwidth. - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#pms-pms_faq_connectivity_direct
Note that the PS3 can only have one NIC active at a time, so if you're playing content from your laptop, it will need to be the wired connection. You'll either have to switch back to wireless if you want to connect to your router for an internet connection, or you'll need to share the internet connection from your laptop using ICS (internet connection sharing).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support