Issues With PMS' Private JRE on Windows 8.1 x64 Systems

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Issues With PMS' Private JRE on Windows 8.1 x64 Systems

Postby Guardian Hope » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:25 am

Systems Effected:
  • Windows 8.1 x64 based systems with PMS 1.90.1
  • Windows 8.1 Pro x64 based systems with PMS 1.90.1
  • Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64 based systems with PMS 1.90.1

Issue:
On systems running Windows 8.1 x64 (with or without Media Center; perhaps Windows 8 as well), the Java Runtime Environment included with PS3 Media Server results in unusual behavior from the application. Such unusual behavior includes a Microsoft Visual C Runtime Error reporting that an application (Explorer.exe) has requested the runtime to exit in an unusual manor (naturally resulting in the relaunching of Windows Explorer) and a Java "heap out of memory" error (even with a heap size increased to 1536M) reported if the aforementioned error is simply ignored (the prompts left open).

Additionaly, problems with playback on a renderer may occur as result (skipping, freezing, etc.)

Solution:
Since this is a Java issue on Windows 8.1 based systems and not actually a PMS issue (as far as I can tell), the recommended course of action is to update the system-wide Java to the latest version by downloading it from Java.com. Since PMS appears to use a private 64bit version of Java on x64 systems, the x64 version is the most important system-wide Java to update as you'll need that to proceed.

Once that is done, or if you already have the latest version of the Java Runtime installed, do the following:
Code: Select all
Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\jre64"
Delete the contents of the "jre64" folder (NOTICE: Do not delete the "jre64" folder itself)
Open another explorer window and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7"
Copy the contents of "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\jre64" (NOTICE: Do not simply move the contents of the "jre7" folder as this is the system wide 64bit Java Runtime)

This should resolve the issue with PS3 Media Server on Windows 8.1 x64 based systems.

Additional Notes:
  • This may effect x86 based systems but I have no such Windows 8.1 computers to know for sure but I assume if it does the solution procedure is the same with the exception of having to copy the x86 version of Java instead of the x64 version
  • Although I have not noticed any issues with PMS from updating the private Java Runtime, it is certainly possible that you may encounter unforeseen issues after doing so (I am no developer) so your mileage may very
  • For the developers: I'm uncertain how PMS obtains its private JRE (whether it's included or copied from the system-wide version at time of installation) but I strongly urge the developers to use the latest version of Java in whatever the next release might be :)
Guardian Hope

Return to General Help and Support