Odd problem with openSUSE 13.1

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Odd problem with openSUSE 13.1

Postby hendersj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:27 am

Hi,

I've been a long-time PMS user, running versions going back as far as 1.53 (and probably even earlier than that).

I've just upgraded my streaming box to openSUSE 13.1 and PMS 1.90.1 using the generic-linux-unix download from Sourceforge. This problem started, though, with version 1.71.0 just after I upgraded to openSUSE 13.1 from openSUSE 12.2, where PMS ran flawlessly.

The issue is that mencoder no longer seems to work. I've installed all the latest updates to 13.1 (as well as made sure that I've got the packman version of mplayer installed - along with the necessary w32codec package. All transcoding settings are set to default (I made sure to let 1.90.1 recreate the conf file rather than trying to reuse the old one).

When I try to stream to my ps3 using mencoder, mencoder bombs out, and the PS3 says that the content isn't available. If I stream to an android device, it works as expected - my phone - running rockplayer lite as a player and upnp play to access the media server - renders as it has in the past (kinda blocky, but functional).

If I switch to ffmpeg, it plays on the ps3, but the playback is choppy. The streaming server itself isn't showing any high utilization on any of its 4 cores, and is certainly capable of streaming smoothly (I even stream mkv files usually, but these are just mp4/h.264 encoded files that are failing).

Feels like I'm missing something obvious. I can't find any differences in how mencoder is being called between the two renderers, but it seems that it is.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to look.

Jim
hendersj

Re: Odd problem with openSUSE 13.1

Postby hendersj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 am

This apparently was a build problem with mencoder or one of the libraries it depends on, as an update that came down in the past couple days seems to have fixed it.

Maybe not an mencoder update, but a dependent library update. In any event, it's working great now.

Jim
hendersj

Return to Linux/Unix Support