The most stupid question ever asked on here

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: The most stupid question ever asked on here

Postby RoDnSuE » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:55 am

SeaFox wrote:For shits and grins I've been perusing the owner's manual for your TV, and I don't think it supports DLNA. You called Vizio and "confirmed with Vizio that it is DLNA compatible & It will play AVI & MP4 videos via a USB memory stick". The problem is playing things over DLNA and playing things from a thumb drive are two completely different things. I think you were just the victim of the same issue with when you asked for help from the router people, on in this case the Vizio rep is mistaking DLNA for their file playback features. It's very telling I can do a search of the entire manual for the TV and not find the phrase "DLNA" once.

Also, I saw these restrictions on the manual:
  • The USB thumb drive must be formatted as FAT32.
  • Files on the USB thumb drive must end in a supported file extension (.mp3, .jpg, etc).
  • The player is not designed to play media from external hard drives or mp3 players.
Note that there are no video formats mentioned. Also check out page 35 in the manual. There is a "Browse Music" button on the left of the interface that is used to "Toggle photos and music" (probably changes to "Browse Photos" when you're on the other side). Once again, no mention of videos. You might want to stick an actual mp4 video file on a flash drive and see if they were telling you the truth about even that. I recently had the opportunity to mess around with a Vizio blu-ray player at a friend's house. It had an Ethernet port and a USB port and said you could play back media on it, but we never could figure out how to get it to display any of the video files we had on the flash drive I'd brought with me.

Might want to check if there are additional "apps" you can download and add to the VIA widget, maybe DLNA is a feature you have to add separately.
If you decide to call Vizio back, ask them some really specific DLNA questions and you'll probably trip them up. Questions like "can I use more than one PC to stream files to my TV?" or "what's the recommended server software for DLNA?". If your TV supports DLNA they should be able to tell you what container formats, video codecs, and audio codecs are supported in video files. Something else that I noticed is not mentioned at all in your manual.

In any case, if it doesn't work out you can just get a BD player that DOES support DLNA for under a hundred easily to use with your TV.

Thanks Seafox,

I think your right about Vizio mistaking, (intentionally or un-intentionally) USB drive access as meaning DLNA compatible. The TV will play MP4's and AVI's via a memory stick. I have tried this and it works well.

The Vizio rep said it "WILL NOT" play video from an external server and there are no VIA widgets to add this capability.

I really can't understand why they would omit this functionality from a WI-FI enabled TV. Seems that would be no problem.

Anyway, I posted my problem over on avs.com and was pointed to hsti.com. They make a wireless media stick that appears to the TV or any other device you plug it into as a normal fat32 formatted drive but actually will show whatever folders you share to it. Pretty cool! I have my 1TB NAS drive that is connected to my router set up as a share and it show everything on it. It's a bit slow in showing the folder contents but plays SD quality wireless without any hiccups. I think I'm going to re-partition the drive into 200MB drives to see if it speeds up the file reading. Nice device at any rate!!!! BITE HSTI HINEY VIZIO!!! LOL
RoDnSuE

Postby Jackie1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 pm

RoDnSuE wrote:
SeaFox wrote:For shits and grins I've been perusing the owner's manual for your TV, and I don't think it supports DLNA. You called Vizio and "confirmed with Vizio that it is DLNA compatible & It will play AVI & MP4 videos via a USB memory stick". The problem is playing things over DLNA and playing things from a thumb drive are two completely different things. I think you were just the victim of the same issue with when you asked for help from the router people, on in this case the Vizio rep is mistaking DLNA for their file playback features. It's very telling I can do a search of the entire manual for the TV and not find the phrase "DLNA" once.

Also, I saw these restrictions on the manual:
  • The USB thumb drive must be formatted as FAT32.
  • Files on the USB thumb drive must end in a supported file extension (.mp3, .jpg, etc).
  • The player is not designed to play media from external hard drives or mp3 players.
Note that there are no video formats mentioned. Also check out page 35 in the manual. There is a "Browse Music" button on the left of the interface that is used to "Toggle photos and music" (probably changes to "Browse Photos" when you're on the other side). Once again, no mention of videos. You might want to stick an actual mp4 video file on a flash drive and see if they were telling you the truth about even that. I recently had the opportunity to mess around with a Vizio blu-ray player at a friend's house. It had an Ethernet port and a USB port and said you could play back media on it, but we never could figure out how to get it to display any of the video files we had on the flash drive I'd brought with me.

Might want to check if there are additional "apps" you can download and add to the VIA widget, maybe DLNA is a feature you have to add separately.
If you decide to call Vizio back, ask them some really specific DLNA questions and you'll probably trip them up. Questions like "can I use more than one PC to stream files to my TV?" or "what's the recommended server software for DLNA?". If your TV supports DLNA they should be able to tell you what container formats, video codecs, and audio codecs are supported in video files. Something else that I noticed is not mentioned at all in your manual.

In any case, if it doesn't work out you can just get a BD player that DOES support DLNA for under a hundred easily to use with your TV.

Thanks Seafox,

I think your right about Vizio mistaking, (intentionally or un-intentionally) USB drive access as meaning DLNA compatible. The TV will play MP4's and AVI's via a memory stick. I have tried this and it works well.

The Vizio rep said it "WILL NOT" play video from an external server and there are no VIA widgets to add this capability.

I really can't understand why they would omit this functionality from a WI-FI enabled TV. Seems that would be no problem.

Anyway, I posted my problem over on avs.com and was pointed to hsti.com. They make a wireless media stick that appears to the TV or any other device you plug it into as a normal fat32 formatted drive but actually will show whatever folders you share to it. Pretty cool! I have my 1TB NAS drive that is connected to my router set up as a share and it show everything on it. It's a bit slow in showing the folder contents but plays SD quality wireless without any hiccups. I think I'm going to re-partition the drive into 200MB drives to see if it speeds up the file reading. Nice device at any rate!!!! BITE HSTI HINEY VIZIO!!! LOL

I'm a little confused what vizio says about that their tv's won't connect to an external drive? What does that mean exactly?

I want to play mkv's and the only way I can do it is with ps3 media server and my Xbox. Why can't I eliminate the Xbox when the tv itself can see ps3 media server? I have the latest M series vizio TV and it just hangs if I'm using the tv only and ps3 media server. Only way it will work it with the Xbox
Jackie1

Postby Jackie1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Download TvMobili. I've worked with them and it will stream any file including mkv with Visio smart tv. After you install the program will detect tv as a lg. be sure to change it to "vizo profile" and it will work!!! I spent a lot of time on this and am glad to report it works. Our vizio tv's collects chunks of data before and after a file starts playing, which breaks the transcode process. This is why it hangs with ps3 and others because its trying to read after the transcoding.
Jackie1

Previous

Return to General Discussion