Stolen PS3 need help retrieving MAC address from software

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Stolen PS3 need help retrieving MAC address from software

Postby DavidAllenDamian » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:09 am

Okay so my PS3 was stolen by some dope fiend, their is a way I could likely retrieve the console through pretty simple means(I know what your'e thinking "some fat old doughnut eating cop whos been delegated to non emergency investigator isn't going to take the time to actually do what it will take to get back my ps3") However my uncle is the sheriff of the county I reside in and I know he will get one of his underlings to help me and or do this easy stuff himself. I need my ps3's unique MAC numer, to be able to relay it to the investigator, I know the easiest way to get the MAC number is by looking at your consoles system info on the actual system, however I don't have it. So I was thinking, stored somewhere in this awesome streaming software on my PC, that their may be a way to retrieve my MAC address from it being previously linked up to my computer. If you guys could help me locate my Playstation3's unique MAC number by way of this software(the PMS software) you could effectively help me retrieve my 700 dollars worth of gaming equipment and games and help me rain down a little gamer/nerd justice on this dirty thief.... oh yeah here is a link to the article if you were curious just how all this stuff would work. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... -p/3139968 thanks you.
DavidAllenDamian

Re: Stolen PS3 need help retrieving MAC address from softwar

Postby meskibob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't think the MAC addresses are displayed in the standard debug.log (but you could check - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#p32731), and although it might be in the trace.log, that would require enabling the trace.log and reconnecting your PS3, which obviously doesn't help you.
I think you're out of luck, at least as far as PMS getting you your MAC address. Sorry :(

Depending on your router and how long it's been, you may be able to look at your router's connection logs and get the MAC address from there.
You may also be able to look at your software firewall history, find the first inbound/outbound connection that you allowed from/to the PS3 and potentially get the MAC address from that.
I can't think of anything else at the moment.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Evilnapkin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:09 am

might have a better change looking though your router. if you set it up to assigned a specific IP when connecting or might even be in the logs.

for future reference if you have a smart phone get an app called fing. it scans your network and has all types of information like this from ip/mac address. to what services are running on that device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... fing&hl=en
Evilnapkin

Postby kanti123 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Your computer should keep a history of your network, I'm not sure if you can find your MAC address there. I know router status does show MAC address, but it's only when that device is online.
My Setup
Computer
Asus G73Jw
16Gig of ram
2x 512Gig of HDD
1 Gigabit LAN line
Geforce GTX460M

Output Setup
PS3 Slim
1000 base full band
HDMI to Denon AVR-4311CI to Samung un55ES7100 (Calibrated with X-Rite i1Pro Enhanced from Spectracal)
kanti123

Postby ExSport » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:37 pm

If the PC wasn't restarted and you remember IP address you can find it via ARP command (example from Windows)
Code: Select all
arp -a

If you will be lucky you can find it in log on router but I don't think you will find anything. If you had a DHCP reservation on router, you can find MAC there...
ExSport

Return to General Discussion