Why is it so slow to browse & display the folders content ?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Why is it so slow to browse & display the folders content ?

Postby dimethil » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi folks,

I'm using PS3MS (v1.90.1) on my PC (windows7), to play movies on my TV. My TV is connected to my network with 100Mbits ethernet. I tryed with Wifi, it doesn't change anything.
PC < ethernet 100m > router < ethernet 100m > TV

I have something like 2To of movies, and when I'm trying to go into a folder with a lot of files in it, It takes 30sec, and I get an error message (server errer, timeout, or something like that)... I can't play files in these folders.
If I create sub-folders with a few movies in them, I can access the movies, but that's very long to open the folder (something like 15sec...).

I tryed to cancel the thumbnails creation, the subtitles, but nothing changes...

DO you have any idea to solve my problem ?

Thanks
dimethil

Re: Why is it so slow to browse & display the folders conten

Postby taconaut » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 am

Try enabling the media library.
This will avoid having to read file information from the files each time a folder is being entered (it will happen only the first time and the subsequent times the information will be read from the database, which is a lot faster).
If it's still too slow, split files in different folders or try pms-mlx linked in my signature (take the alpha 0.9) to create an appropriate folder structure without having to touch the files in the file system.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby dimethil » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 pm

hi

thank you for your answer.

I have tried to activate the media library, it works fine in the tv show s folders, because there is no more than 20 files. but it doesn't change anything regarding the big folders with movies... the folder is so large that there is a time out error before the end of the media library is loaded...

I'll take a look to your link, but I'd prefer not to spend too much time on creating subfolders, moving files, etc...

thanks
dimethil

Postby taconaut » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:11 am

You're welcome. The big folder issue is actually one of the main reasons I've started implementing pms-mlx :)
Hope you find a solution.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby ExSport » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:06 pm

dimethil wrote:... but it doesn't change anything regarding the big folders with movies... the folder is so large that there is a time out error before the end of the media library is loaded...

I know it is unpleasant to see timeout but PMS is still working in background.
When you have 3000 files in one folder (folder structure of m2ts files from HD camcorder) and try to list them on PS3 for the first time, PSM will start gathering info about files and stores them to database.
Indexing is longer process for so many files and it seems PMS sends response to renderer after all files are indexed and not in bulks so renderer will show timeout. But PMS still indexes files so when it will finish and you will refresh the folder again (go back and in again), you should see all files immediately because this time, info is not gathered again.
EDIT: Not sure if it is behavior of PMS or renderer itself. If I remembered right PS3 was able to show partial files and refreshed other files in 15files groups but e.g. Panasonic TV generated timeout and written above applied (not on PS3, sorry for mistake...but can't test it right now to approve it)
ExSport

Postby [shingo] » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Is the index saved when you shutdown and PMS ? Does it have to re-index everything the next time the application is started?
[shingo]

Postby taconaut » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:22 am

@[shingo] yes, if you enable the media library, otherwise no.
taconaut
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support