PS3 Mavericks

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3 Mavericks

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:56 pm

ciarals wrote:1) As other users reported, I tried to uninstall an reinstall the latest version of PMS and it stopped at step 6/7. I quitted the install process and PMS was successfully installed (I think).

Funny, I never noticed this: you're right. Step 6/7 only presents a "quit" button... :shock:
That's not correct and I will have to look into that.

However, it is not deadly to miss the final step. All required files should be installed after step 6.

2) After clicking on the icon, PMS wasn't appearing. The Java installed on my Mac was the latest version found on java.com website. I checked with "java -version" and it said that Java wasn't installed on my Mac! So I clicked on the linked displayed on the warning message and I installed the Java Platform (JDK) 7u45 from Oracle website: after this install, the PMS was working again.

This is strange. The new installer should also install Java in step 6.
If you open a Terminal and execute the following command, you should see a "jre1.7.0_25.jre" directory:

Code: Select all
ls /Applications/PS3\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/PlugIns/

That is the Java version that ought to be used - not the version you installed later.

And here we come to the not-solved problem: subtitles not displaying. I tried your solution with FFmpeg but it didn't work: no audio or video on the PS3, just an error. Tried switching off and on PS3 and PMS without success.

I also had VLC as Video File Engine. So I tried with it and it worked, but not so well: audio and subtitles are ok but video is vary bad with big pixels everywhere.

So now what can I/we do? Up to now, FFmpeg was the worst solution. Why it didn't worked? Do I have to install FFmpeg or update it?

Thanks for all your help :)

It depends on the file you are trying to view; some engines are better at transcoding particular formats than other. VLC and FFmpeg are both nice alternatives if MEncoder is having problems. There is no way of telling up front which will give the best result.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:00 pm

jimilyon wrote:I found the 1.9 upgrade as I am on 1.8 something. the installer for 1.9 will not run. I get the message box for osX that it is downloaded
from an unknown site and do I want to continue. I continue and it immediately closes.

I recently fixed a bug in the PMS startup script that would cause it to close immediately upon starting PMS.

Have you tried installing the latest snapshot build?
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby ciarals » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Raptor399 wrote:However, it is not deadly to miss the final step. All required files should be installed after step 6.

Yes, correct :)

Raptor399 wrote:This is strange. The new installer should also install Java in step 6.
If you open a Terminal and execute the following command, you should see a "jre1.7.0_25.jre" directory:

ls /Applications/PS3\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/PlugIns/

That is the Java version that ought to be used - not the version you installed later.

Yes, your code works... Don't know why PMS wasn't working... Maybe only a coincidence...

Raptor399 wrote:It depends on the file you are trying to view; some engines are better at transcoding particular formats than other. VLC and FFmpeg are both nice alternatives if MEncoder is having problems. There is no way of telling up front which will give the best result.

Ok, but how can I do to encrease VLC transcoding quality? Now it's very bad... With MEncoder video was perfect, except for subtitles of course :)
ciarals

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:59 pm

ciarals wrote:Ok, but how can I do to encrease VLC transcoding quality? Now it's very bad... With MEncoder video was perfect, except for subtitles of course :)

If you open the movie straight from VLC on the Mac, the movie looks perfect, I assume?
If that is the case, I would assume we use a suboptimal set of command line arguments to create the transcoded file. You could try to manually transcode the file in a Terminal by adapting the command line that is logged to "debug.log". If you find a way to produce better results, be sure to post them.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby ciarals » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Raptor399 wrote:If you open the movie straight from VLC on the Mac, the movie looks perfect, I assume?
If that is the case, I would assume we use a suboptimal set of command line arguments to create the transcoded file. You could try to manually transcode the file in a Terminal by adapting the command line that is logged to "debug.log". If you find a way to produce better results, be sure to post them.

You're assuming right, the movie looks perfect on VLC.
Manually transcode, adapting the command line, find a way to produce: I don't really know how to do this, I'm not a programmer :)
If there's an easy way to do this, I can test it, but you should tell me what to do...
If it's too complicated, we'll wait for a new version that fixes the subtitle problem of MEncoder: any news about this?
Thanks again for your help :)
ciarals

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:29 pm

ciarals wrote:Manually transcode, adapting the command line, find a way to produce: I don't really know how to do this, I'm not a programmer :)
If there's an easy way to do this, I can test it, but you should tell me what to do...

FAQ to the rescue:

FAQ: How can I manually execute the transcoding command line that PMS uses?

It's easier than you might think, you don't have to be a programmer. :-)
If it's too complicated, we'll wait for a new version that fixes the subtitle problem of MEncoder: any news about this?

Building MPlayer... Brrr... It's a general pain in the ass and I try to avoid it as much as possible.
But you're probably right in that this problem might require it to be rebuilt on OS X Mavericks. :roll:
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby -Mediaman- » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Please fix pms on Mavericks, subtitles won't work either with MEncoder or FFmpeg :(
-Mediaman-

Postby melcon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:37 am

I'm using a workaround for menconder's issue regarding subtitles.
Short version:
In transcode settings -> Mencoder Video -> Subtitle settings I disable the "Use ASS/SSA subtitle styling". Then I did:
cd ~/.mplayer && ln -sv /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Arial.ttf subfont.ttf

... and subtitle is working again. You can pick any font you want/have.

Long Version:
When I disable the ASS/SSA subtitles for Mencoder, I got this when running the command line:
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
Writing header...

Then I found this: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=6340
which did the trick.

Just for the records, when running mencoder using ASS/SSA enabled, I got the following output in terminal:
MBP:~ mbpuser$ "/Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/osx/mencoder" -ss 320.403 "/Users/mbpuser/Downloads/test_movie.mkv" -msglevel statusline=2 -oac copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:muxrate=500000:vbuf_size=1194:abuf_size=64 -ovc lavc -channels 6 -lavdopts debug=0:threads=4 -lavcopts autoaspect=1:vcodec=mpeg2video:acodec=ac3:abitrate=640:threads=4:keyint=5:vqscale=1:vqmin=2:vqmax=3:vrc_maxrate=54000:vrc_buf_size=1835 -ass -ass-color ffffff00 -ass-border-color 00000000 -ass-font-scale 1.4 -font Arial -ass-force-style FontName=Arial,Outline=1,Shadow=1,MarginV=10 -noflip-hebrew -subcp cp1252  -nosub -sub "/Users/mbpuser/Downloads/test_movie.srt" -ofps 24000/1001 -sub "/Users/mbpuser/Downloads/test_movie.srt" -lavdopts fast -mc 0 -noskip -o -really-quiet -msglevel statusline=2
MEncoder UNKNOWN-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x4ac2804e
libavformat version 54.29.105 (internal)
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (ac3), -aid 0, -alang eng
VIDEO:  [H264]  1280x720  0bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:44  fourcc:0x34363248  size:1280x720  fps:23.976  ftime:=0.0417
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
libavcodec version 54.61.100 (internal)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 6 ch, s16le, 384.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 48000->576000)
Selected audio codec: [ffac3] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AC-3)
PACKET SIZE: 2048 bytes, deltascr: 884
Opening video filter: [ass auto=1]
[ass] auto-open
[ass] Fontconfig disabled, only default font will be used.
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
audiocodec: framecopy (format=2000 chans=6 rate=48000 bits=0 B/s=48000 sample-0)
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s.
Increasing audio density to 4.

Too many video packets in the buffer: (2281 in 33604942 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Unsupported PixelFormat 53
Unsupported PixelFormat 81
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
videocodec: libavcodec (1280x720 fourcc=3267706d [mpg2])
[VE_LAVC] Using constant qscale = 1.000000 (VBR).
[ass] PlayResX undefined, setting to 384
Writing header...
INITV: 0.200, 0.158, fps: 23.976
[ass] Error opening font: 'Arial', 0

And the [ass] error continues until I stop it with CTRL+C

I hope that can help Raptor399 find what is wrong but I suspect the worse is coming: recompile menconder in Mavericks. :)
melcon

Postby -Mediaman- » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the tip! Subs are working again with MEncoder!

Also noticed that "prevent OS from sleeping while streaming" doesn't seem to work with PMS 1.90.1 & Mavericks, have to confirm this by disabling sleep setting from system preferences / energy saver.
-Mediaman-

Postby Raptor399 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks, that sure helped!

You don't have to link the font. As a workaround you can go to the "Transcoding Settings" tab, click on "Common Transcode Settings" and enter the following value for "Specify TrueType font (for subtitles)":

/Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf

This will display western fonts, but also Hebrew and Arab subs. Japanese subs however, will be shown as blocks.

There is also a "/Library/Fonts/Arial Unicode.ttf" font, but that name contains a space and although PMS tries to escape the name by putting quotes around it, MEncoder doesn't seem to pick the font up. As a test, I copied the file to a new name without space:

sudo cp /Library/Fonts/Arial\ Unicode.ttf /Library/Fonts/ArialUnicode.ttf

That renamed file was properly picked up and Japanese subs were shown.

To sum up: fonts seem to have moved in OS X Mavericks, and MEncoder has trouble picking them up.
Raptor399
Project Member

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support