Building a cheap media server desktop for PMS

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Building a cheap media server desktop for PMS

Postby dlister70 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 am

I'm currently using an ancient discarded desktop as a media server. It's an Athlon XP 3200+ With a gig of ram running Windows XP. It's running PMS 1.90.1 and I've got a 1tb external drive hooked up to it with various video formats on it.

As a general rule, the setup works well and there isn't much delay or stuttering when I use tsMuxeR However, it has some trouble streaming .mkv files or anything HD. I figured I'm asking a bit much of a desktop that I got for free because someone was throwing it away, so I wondered what I could build cheaply that would exceed the requirements for the software.

The FAQ recommends: minimum good dual core, eg 2.8GHz Core2Duo

I am looking at an Athlon ii x4 combo http://www.portatech.com/products/product.cshtml?id=70248&o=82579,57392&r=p&utm_source=pricewatch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=AMD+A780-MB+%2b+Athlon+II+X4+645&utm_campaign=Motherboard+Combos for $125 and it looks like 4 gigs of ddr3 ram would run me under $40. I've already got a hard drive and monitor so that leaves me $35 to spare for a case and power supply. I would think 300 or 400 watts would be plenty since it's only ever running the media server and the case can be plain Jane. This computer would never do anything else besides run the server.

I am not married to the Athlon ii x4 processor, it just seemed like a reasonable price for a quad core.

Is there something better I should be getting in this price range? This seems a bit overkill for a media server only usage.. has anyone had success with a lesser build? The dual core was only like $30 less, so that's why I figured I'd go with the quad.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!
dlister70

Re: Building a cheap media server desktop for PMS

Postby taconaut » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 am

I'm running it on a 4 year old quad core AMD phenom and it serves/transcodes everything I throw at it.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support