Want to watch Anime over PMS but-

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Want to watch Anime over PMS but-

Postby Firia » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Hello! I'm sort of new to the PMS, so I'm not very well versed with all of its functions. While I've done some research and explored it a bit, I can't seem to figure out how to switch audio channels and enable subtitles. For example, if the PMS streams english by default with no subs, how might I switch audio channels to Japanese with english subs? (Lets assume all of this data exists.)

Seems the file type I have that is frequently an anime is mkv. Though there will be the occasional movie that is in mp4 with an srt file for subs.

Thanks folks!
Firia

Re: Want to watch Anime over PMS but-

Postby giant fart » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 am

Same question here. By default, when I play a dual-audio mkv, I get English audio along with English subtitles, which obviously isn't right. The first thing that occurred to me was to hit the triangle button and click through the options like I would playing a DVD, but they don't give any subtitle options and the only audio options I get is which speaker I want it out of. Any tips?

FAKE EDIT: I was able to get the non-pleb experience I wanted by going into audio settings, putting jpn ahead of english in the audio language priority bar, and hitting save. I'm about satisfied with that, but if there's any way to switch on the fly, it would be good to know.
giant fart

Postby taconaut » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 am

You can go into the transcode folder where all combinations of audio language - subtitle language - transcoding engine will be listed. Choose the one you'd like to use.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Firia » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:12 am

That's handy! I was looking, but I guess I didn't see that.

Is there a way to set it up so that I may switch audio/subs via the playstation video menu? (The menu used while playing a video.)
Firia

Postby taconaut » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Unfortunately this isn't supported py the ps3 (or even DLNA?). It would be handy indeed.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Actually, I think that might be possible if we could embed multiple sub streams into the video. Theoretically the player could then choose which sub stream to display.
I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure FFmpeg would support embedding subs (as opposed to burning them in the movie).
Would be very nice to have, but is not implemented in PMS right now.

But even if that succeeds, I'm not sure if there are formats with embedded subs that the PS3 accepts and supports with selectable subs!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm

The only one I know of is the AVI container, DivX video, with embedded XSubs. Not sure on the audio.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby mazey » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

yeah ffmpeg supports embedded subs (also external .ass/srt) but the logic would need to be added to pms. would be so useful for forced subs on non-english parts :)
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Return to General Help and Support