Ps4

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Ps4

Postby Kubr1ck » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Latest tweet from @yosp -

"Had a very good discussion w the PS4 Dev team today. We're happy & appreciative to learn so many people use and like PS3's media features."

I guess it's a positive thing that those at the top respond quickly to feedback. Whether it results in a u-turn is another matter, although given that they've been really keen to have the PS4 perceived as a 'friendly' platform, either to indie devs or gamers who want to trade or share their games, I feel confident it'll be added back. Can't be that difficult to adapt the firmware can it?
Kubr1ck

Postby meskibob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 pm

We'll just have to see.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby lusid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:34 am

Kubr1ck wrote:"... I feel confident it'll be added back. Can't be that difficult to adapt the firmware can it?"

That seems unlikely. Sony has a history of using firmware updates to REMOVE features, not add them. The playstation sitting under my TV is far less capable today than it was when I carried it home from the store.
lusid

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:41 am

lusid wrote:
Kubr1ck wrote:"... I feel confident it'll be added back. Can't be that difficult to adapt the firmware can it?"

That seems unlikely. Sony has a history of using firmware updates to REMOVE features, not add them. The playstation sitting under my TV is far less capable today than it was when I carried it home from the store.

What a load of crock!

Your bluray drive now supports much more than it used to. Your PS3 can now play .avi files, which it couldn't at launch. You can now use apps that didn't exist when the console launched. You can now make settings that never existed at launch. You can now edit movies and upload them. At launch you couldn't even mute your mic or sync your headset in-game. At launch there was no chat application. There were no trophies, no friends avatars. The PS3 browser has been replaced with a slightly better version. Your DS3 has rumble again, which it didn't have at launch. Heck, I bet that at launch there was no remote media player option on PS3 either!

And what did I lose since launch? The possibility to run Linux was removed because it could be used to extract hardware keys (which would have allowed unauthorized PSN access) and Sony couldn't find a way to plug that hole. I did in fact have a Linux partition when it was removed (I lost 10G of disk space that day :-( ), and in all honesty I only ran Ubuntu once, only to find it incredibly slow. It was fun to have a 1080p console for a couple of minutes, but that was about it. Another thing they removed was the backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2. And to be honest there I only ever put 3 games from my old collection in the PS3, just to see how it played. It played well, but being used to the PS3 eye candy the fun quickly wore out.

Those are the two things that I can remember that were removed by Sony. Linux they were forced to remove (thanks, hackers!), that seems somewhat justifiable. Backwards compatibility probably was too expensive for them to maintain, plus they were hoping to make money via PSN. That may make business sense, but it was a bitter pill to swallow (even though I hardly ever used it).

TL;DR: Sony added lots of stuff to the PS3 firmware and removed barely anything.

In my opinion Sony isn't the fastest when it comes to changing their firmware, and they're fairly conservative at it.
However there has been a steady stream of updates over the years that have only made the PS3 better. In all the buzz around the launch of the PS4 I see them becoming more receptive to feedback from outside the company, so I would expect it only to improve on PS4.

It'll be back!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Kubr1ck » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:16 pm

lusid wrote:

That's a little unfair. The firmware's certainly changed over the years but I think they've added more than they've removed. I do have reasons for thinking these features will be added. Firstly, the backlash has been quite large. Secondly, Microsoft has been very quick to point out that the XBone is currently in the process of being DLNA certified, I think Sony won't want any reason for anyone to think their machine is inferior. The speed at which they responded on Twitter is, for me, a positive. I think they would have been more cautious if this was a contentious issue. FInally, it seems a Sony rep has confirmed these features will make an appearance in the second firmware update that will also include legacy headset support and suspend and resume feature (pinch of salt required for this I think, having been a CE rep I know they are sometimes not that well informed). Source here.
Kubr1ck

Postby lusid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:53 pm

They've certainly added features over time as well, for example Cinavia support.

But they burned me, and I hold a grudge. If they haven't burned you yet, enjoy your misplaced trust while it lasts.
lusid

Postby norman_h » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Shocked. Totally shocked.

My 40Gig PS3 fat gave the YLOD last month. I've just used a fortune of goodwill on the wife to convince her to allow a ps4 for Christmas... She relented yesterday and I immediately pre-ordered a console. Now I discover there is no DLNA and the blueray remote isn't compatible.

I don't know if I'll be canceling my pre-order and getting a second hand PS3 slim for the next few years or biting the bullet and purchasing the PS4. How would I explain that to dear wife. Oh no Sony, you've created a nasty first world problem in my house. Maybe I should go for a new end device, such as a raspberry-pi???

Please someone help... Should I abandon the ps4 and go with raspberry-pi, or, should I go with Sony???

norman_h

Postby Raptor399 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 pm

norman_h wrote:Shocked. Totally shocked.

Slap yourself and snap out of it!
DLNA will be back. Keep your PS4. ;-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby rudewest » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 am

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/102 ... ps4-patch/

Though there have been a few missteps on Sony’s behalf from the recent FAQ post riddled with mistakes of no MP3 support, No DLNA support, and a few other features that are not 1376587_10151804945682804_1385326579_navailable at launch. We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:

Legacy headset support
Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
Suspend and resume play feature
DLNA support for media such as (streaming Mp3, Videos etc.)
All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014. Which we hope Sony will deliver sooner upon. From what we know these features are being packed in the 2nd forth coming PS4 firmware update. Also these details were hinted today when Shuhei Yoshida made a post on twitter stating that he had a discussion with other PlayStation 4 development team members about received feedback. With this news being provided Those these features are a definite step in the right direction. We were still unable to confirm future external hard drive support for media or game data would be supported later on. lastly we’re still waiting to hear if there will be future YouTube support for video sharing. What do you think of this good news do you think Sony still needs more features to claim the living room in this next gen console war? comment below let us know.
rudewest

Postby lusid » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:15 pm

By now it should be clear that you can't have a fully functionally DLNA DMP and a blue ray player in the same device. Backroom licensing deals have and will continue to cripple anything that tries to do both.
lusid

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion