Mp4 with external .ass subtitles and comment lines

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Mp4 with external .ass subtitles and comment lines

Postby PlanetIndigo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Alright, this is driving me nuts.
I have some mp4 with external .ass subtitle files.
Those subtitle files have comment lines in them that follow this syntax {note: this is a comment}.
When played with PS3 media player through Mencoder and the transcode folder, those comments are visible.
If I remux the video/audio and ass file into an mkv file and play them using the same Mencoder, with the same settings, the comment lines are not visible.
I have tried all combinations of options I can think of, I even tweaked the advanced settings of Mencoder, but no to avail.
I tried forcing unicode and utf8, but that doesn't seem to work (unless I did it wrong but i don't think so).

Could someone help?
PlanetIndigo

Re: Mp4 with external .ass subtitles and comment lines

Postby PlanetIndigo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Bump for help. The subtitles are definitely handled differently when they are loaded from an external file and when they are loaded internally from an Mkv. The Mkv that properly does not display comment tag doesn't even use the .ass loading engine since it doesn't obey the position, font size, etc option settings that are specifically for .ass. I think it just properly loads it following .ass comment rules (of not being displayed) while it may load them as a generic text subtitle when loading the .ass from an external file.
Also, on a related matter, when forcing the subs to render with an -ass tag in the mencoder settings, there is a refreshing problem that occurs if the subs are positioned below the picture in a black bar that was added by the renderer (with -vf expand). The subs would fail to be deleted when it comes time for the next sub to display and they would start to be superimposed on each other. That only happens when the subs are positioned in the black bar created below the picture. That's why I'm avoiding using the -ass tag in the mencoder advanced settings since I like to display subs in the black bar under the picture. But even without any -ass tags, the subs display correctly with no comment tag from within an mkv container, but show the comment tags when playing the mp4 version loaded with an external .ass subtitle file.
Could someone please help? I'd like to have my external .ass file loaded properly with no comment tag, in the same way that PMS handles the internal .ass subtitle in an MKV file (and again it handles the internal .ass subtitles in an mkv perfectly fine without even using .ass display parameters or an -ass line in the mencoder advanced settings).
PlanetIndigo

Postby PlanetIndigo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:38 pm

bump
PlanetIndigo

Postby PlanetIndigo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 pm

bump, still hoping for someone knowledgable to help me with this
PlanetIndigo

Postby PlanetIndigo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:29 am

Bump, if all else fails and even if I don't get an answer to my question, I hope this will at least reach the eyes of some devs that will look into optimizing .ass subtitles support. I've also noticed other bugs with that subtitle format. Whenever there are simultaneous subtitles timing or when they overlap, the time stamp of the 2nd subtitle actually shows as part of the subtitle!
PlanetIndigo

Postby PlanetIndigo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:45 pm

bump
PlanetIndigo

Postby PlanetIndigo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm

bump
PlanetIndigo

Postby meskibob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:24 pm

This seems more like a bug with MEncoder than anything else. PMS just tells MEncoder which video file to transcode using which external subtitle file. If MEncoder handles internal and external subs differently, then there's not much we can do until it's fixed in MEncoder.

You can try updating MEncoder to see if that's been fixed. If it has, then the build in PMS can be updated.
You can try using a different transcoding engine (like FFmpeg).

If you want to debug it further with MEncoder, try adding flags to the existing transcoding command PMS uses - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=78300#p78300
To note, this should be the same as using the custom options field within PMS, but this will let you isolate the issue to just MEncoder.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support