Built-in subtitles?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Built-in subtitles?

Postby Gibush » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:40 am

Hi.

I have a couple of video files I'd like to play (containing obscure foreign kung-fu movies, heh). They are mkv files. One of them is in a folder that also contains a subtitle file, and it plays fine streaming to my PS3 with the Media Server. The subtitles show up fine (well, they look kind of crappy, but fine in general). The other one doesn't have any extra files attached, but when I play it on my PC, subtitles appear. However when I play it on my PS3, I see nothing. I looked at the subtitle options but nothing is jumping out at me, and after google searching, most people's problems seem to be with the additional subtitle files (though I could be wrong).

Any advice?
Gibush

Re: Built-in subtitles?

Postby taconaut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 am

Have a look in the transcode folder (first folder in the directory where you have your video). You should have a video with the subtitles in there.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Gibush » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 am

taconaut wrote:Have a look in the transcode folder (first folder in the directory where you have your video). You should have a video with the subtitles in there.

Thanks for the reply.

In my "Movies" folder (PS3 Media Server -> C -> Users -> My Name -> Desktop -> My Folder -> Movies) I do see, along with the movie itself, a "#--TRANSCODE--#" folder, and within it another folder with the title of the movie ("The Dragon Tamers.mkv"), but I can't click on it to go deeper or do anything with it. Pressing Triangle of course just brings up Copy and Information.
Gibush

Postby taconaut » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 am

Good thing you wrote down the path :) the maximum folder depth on the PS3 is 8, that's where you reach the transcode folder. If you move it to a shorter path, it should work.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support