Itunes Library

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Itunes Library

Postby diquimbe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello,

I have a hopefully simple question. Whenever I check the "Show ITunes library" checkbox on the PMS Navigation/Share Settings tab, the PMS Server seems to hang and I can never get it to work. On the PMS Logs tab, I'll see "Start building iTunes folder..." but then it will either hang or just show that message forever. Everything works fine if I uncheck that box for both video and audio streaming, but it would be much easier to navigate if I my iTunes library was visible. Without it, I just have to manually navigate through my music drive to the artist folder I'm looking for each time.

My iTunes library is about 80000 songs / 700 GB, which is good size but I'm sure there are much bigger out there. Is there anyone who has come across this issue? Do I just need to let it run overnight and build that file? Or allocate more memory somehow for the PMS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
diquimbe

Re: Itunes Library

Postby taconaut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Your library is really big, not sure if you'll be able to make it work. Two suggestions:
Raise the available memory by setting a bigger Xmx value
Try the recently released iTunes Library Plugin. The implementation is different and seems more robust then the one included in pms.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby diquimbe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks taconaut. I've tried the plugin and so far, no dice. PMS recognizes the plugin, but then I get an "Error instantiating plugin" followed by a "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" with a whole lot of details following. I did go through and up the XMX value to 2048 from the default 768, but still no dice. I am upgrading to the latest iTunes to make sure that's not an issue, though I was only one update behind.

I have a feeling if I can get the install through, it will work. Do you think it's worth going to an even higher memory setting? I did look in task manager, and I haven't seen the memory for javaw go over 500,000k.
diquimbe

Postby taconaut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Just to be sure the memory issue also occurs also when using the plugin: did you uncheck the 'Show iTunes library' in pms, added the plugin in the plugins folder and restarted pms?
The iTunes version shouldn't be an issue. Pms reads the library from the xml file; its format hasn't changed for ages.
The out of memory issue occurs because all folders are being created on initial startup. If the implementation was changed to only create required files and folders when entering a folder, the memory usage would be much lower. I haven't checked the plugin code to see how it builds the file/folder tree (that's why I proposed to give it a try).
Just give a higher memory value a try, not too confident it will solve your issue though.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support