Why does does it sometimes pause / stutter?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Why does does it sometimes pause / stutter?

Postby Mkilbride » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm

And not others? Same file. Already changed amount of RAM available. Sometimes the same file, say, a movie will play fine. Then, if I play it a few hours later, it won't. Until I restart the media player / my computer, and sometimes it requires multiple restarts.

It's been getting more and more frequent as PS3 MEdia server updates. One of the first versions I tried, 1.52 had none of these problems. But as it's updated, 1.6, 1.7, and now 1.9 , it's becoming a more common problem. What causes it? Why does restarting(sometimes multiple times) fix it?

GTX670
2500K @ 4.5GHZ
8GB RAM @ 1866MHZ
128GB SSD
Wired Connection, PS3 Media server rates it @ 512Mb/s
Mkilbride

Re: Why does does it sometimes pause / stutter?

Postby scotster » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:19 pm

I've been posting about the same issues for ages now. There are no answers.
scotster

Postby Mkilbride » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 am

Really, there is no solution as to why it's perfect?

Then other times, the entire night, it won't work, no matter what?
Mkilbride

Postby taconaut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 am

There are many reasons why this can happen (network, CPU etc.). All known issues are documented in this post
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby scotster » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Mkilbride wrote:Really, there is no solution as to why it's perfect?

Then other times, the entire night, it won't work, no matter what?

Unfortunately not. I've checked the FAQ, I have a monster PC by comparison to the requirements necessary, both the PC and the PS3 are wired via 1GB ethernet. I've tried every combination of settings that I could think of and nothing has made any difference.

The funny thing, for me, is it's not transcoding that's the issue. When a video needs to be transcoded I don't think I have any issues, other than trying to ffwd/rwd which is a bit of a pain. It's only when direct streaming is being used. Ie compatible AVI, MP4 video files that I see any issues.

I've asked the question on here numerous times, the answer is always the same.... "read the FAQ". It's pointless though as it's nothing to do with the transcoding side of the program, which is pretty much all the FAQ covers.

It's an issue with the program or the way the program works, no amount of tweaking has guided me towards making the issue better, never mind curing it.

Oh, one thing that does help is resetting the PC. If I get a few drop outs or a few stutters during a single viewing I reset the PC. This seems to get me a lot more viewing between stutters/drop outs. My PC is on 24/7 and PMS is available 24/7 so something seems to build up after a lot of viewing that causes the issues.
scotster

Return to General Help and Support