Bitrate exceeding Network Capability for no reason

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Bitrate exceeding Network Capability for no reason

Postby naylor2006 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:48 am

Hello all, my first post, hope it goes well.

Firstly what a great tool, it serves my Samsung TV, iphone and my ps3 all at once, literally have never had and issue until now.

Ive done a search through the forums and seem to have found a few answers but nothing quite as specific.

My issue is:

For some reason now when playing some 1080p MKV's the bitrate is jumping to over 300mbps, I can see this when I press select on the PS3 controller and it is also reported on the PMS front status screen, naturally at this level the audio cuts in and out the video stutters. This is using the default mencoder settings, mpeg2 quality set to wired and I keep DTS in the stream as I have an AV reciever for all that. If I enter the transcode folder for said 1080p mkv and select ffmpeg I dont get the same problem, the bitrate stays below 50 where I would expect it to be, quality looks the same.

Additionally when using my Samsung TV to stream the same file with mencoder (not using transcode folder for ffmpeg) it works fine also.

My head is telling me that the bitrate literally cannot be over 300, thats insanely high, I used to see this a year ago but after restarting the Server the issue went away but now I seem to be stuck with it, it also seems to have happened out of the blue, I have changed anything in my settings. I am using a 100mbps network wired and my mpeg quality settings are set to automatic.

Ive installed the latest version of PMS to no avail, limited the network bandwidth to 50 which does nothing, doesnt matter what I set it on the bitrate still goes crazy.

Its gotto be a fault with my settings somewhere but I dont know what to adjust, I have a Quad Core I5 setup with 8 gig of ram and 2 5000 series crossfired ATI cards, my system will pretty much handle any transcoding you throw at it and allow you to game at the same time so Im puzzled.

Ive seen loads of posts about NIC settings however when ffmpeg works fine why is mencoder losing its nuts? Should I just use ffmpeg and is there a way of making it the default so I dont have enter the transcode folder to use it?

Thanks in advance guys, surely someone else has had this issue.

thumbnails = false
image_thumbnails = true
folders = F:\\TV Series,E:\\Manifest's Files\\public (Main)\\films,E:\\Manifest's Files\\public (Main)\\music\\Current Music
itunes = true
alternativeffmpegpath = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3 Media Server\\win32\\dvrms\\ffmpeg_MPGMUX.exe
mencoder_ass = true
mencoder_fontconfig = true
mencoder_ass_defaultstyle = true
uuid = ab1e1a1b-c374-4bb0-9f14-0fd5f8c8622f
mencoder_disablesubs = false
embed_dts_in_pcm = true
minimized = true
mencoder_nooutofsync = false
mencoder_forcefps = true
VLC_use_experimental_codecs = true
VLC_audio_sync_enabled = true
generate_thumbnails = false
audio_embed_dts_in_pcm = true
mpeg2_main_settings = Automatic (Wired)
engines = mencoder,ffmpegvideo,avsmencoder,tsmuxer,vlctranscoder,ffmpegaudio,tsmuxeraudio,ffmpegwebvideo,vlcwebvideo,vlcvideo,mencoderwebvideo,ffmpegwebaudio,vlcaudio,ffmpegdvrmsremux,rawthumbs
naylor2006

Re: Bitrate exceeding Network Capability for no reason

Postby mazey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:12 am

ffmpeg is great i use it as my main engine to make it the default engine used just change this line in config (pms.conf)

engines = ffmpegvideo,mencoder,avsmencoder,tsmuxer,vlctranscoder,ffmpegaudio,tsmuxeraudio,ffmpegwebvideo,vlcwebvideo,vlcvideo,mencoderwebvideo,ffmpegwebaudio,vlcaudio,ffmpegdvrmsremux,rawthumbs

whatever is first gets priority, basically just move ffmpeg ahead of mencoder.

you can also add the line below and set a speed manually it works globally for all renderers and engines.

maximum_bitrate = 110
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby naylor2006 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:18 am

Cheers mate

Ive tried chanaging that bitrate setting, doesnt seem to affect mencoder, still loses its nuts and bitrate goes mental.

Maybe I should just do as you suggested and moved ffmpeg as my primary, I assume this means I dont have to enter the transcode folder at all to use it?
naylor2006

Postby mazey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:22 am

yeah i dont even show the transcode folder, its not needed, it will use ffmpeg to transcode now automatically instead of mencoder.

ffmpeg is way better, i stopped using mencoder like a year ago heh.

you could try updating mencoder, might be a issue with the one packed with pms is quite old, like sb41, and sb52 is out.

http://www.spirton.com/mplayer-mencoder-subjunk-build/

are you sure its the bitrate does it skip ahead, if so u need to increase the java heap size.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p38969
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby naylor2006 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:29 am

When the bitrate goes mad it slows the video down, it doesnt skip it just slows down, only happens during some scenes, goes slow mo until the shot changes and then it returns to normal speed, obviously the network or ps3 is getting bogged down, weird why it doesnt affect my Samsung TV however.

Assume ffmpeg provides the same quality image?

Sorry to ask dum questions, ps3 media server has pretty much just worked out the box for me bar enabling DTS since I got it couple years back.
naylor2006

Postby mazey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 am

yeah not sure whats wrong with it. the only difference is ps3 has a gigabit network card and the tvs come with a 100mbit card. are you using a gigabit switch/router and cat5e cables to the ps3. it does sound like a network issue because pms runs fine to ps3's, its wired right? and not wireless cuz wired should work 100%

i found ffmpeg better quality then mencoder, probably cuz its being developed more so, daily updates etc and mencoder development has died down.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
mazey

Postby naylor2006 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks dude, ok, maybe rather than trying to sort out mencoder just ditch it for ffmpeg.

Is the below what I require?

64-bit Downloads
Download FFmpeg git-e1f8184 32-bit Static64-bit Downloads
Download FFmpeg git-e1f8184 64-bit Static

How to I extract it to get it to integrate with PS3 Media Server?

Theres a switch in the room with the PC (Server) and thats only 100mbit, my WAN Router is 1000mbit however the PC's first network point is 100mbit so should be capped off by that and PMS has always said it has detected a 90 odd mbit network, possibility that the network setup is getting confused by the WAN. Having said that though I dont think thats causing it, I mean 300 odd bitrate isnt right is it even if my network was cable of handling it!

All pretty sweet really, its a new build and I had network points put in every room so the PC sits there and serves the whole house :)
naylor2006

Postby mazey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 am

just grab the 64 bit static build top right extract go into the bin folder copy ffmpeg.exe over the one in "c:\program files(x86)\ps3 media server\win32"

not sure whats wrong with it, it does sound like its trying to send it at gigabit speeds, for the mpeg2 quality do you have it set to automatic which is probably doing it, set it to 5,1,1 i think automatic ignores the max bitrate and sets its own depending on a few scenarios, file resolution etc. 5,1,1 is what i use without issues and was the default before the automatic option got added.
mazey

Postby naylor2006 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:56 am

Why its trying to do that is mental, thinking about it my Network card is connected at 100mbits. Its set to auto dude but ive never touched the setting before, it was set to default before the latest version and I was still getting this issue then which is why I installed 1.9.1, I was on 1.8 before and the same thing occured. So with mpeg set to auto (wired) mencoder with lose its sh1t yet same file running through ffmpeg would look exactly the same yet run at mostly below 50 bitrate.

Pretty much sold on the idea of using ffmpeg now man, thanks for the advice regarding installing the latest version, does PMS not come with the latest version?

Even though ffmpeg seems to work fine should I still adjust the mpeg 2 quality?
naylor2006

Postby mazey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 am

pms comes with a current version like a month or so old, but doesnt hurt to manually update things if you like :) yeah ffmpeg is great the only disadvantages is if you use subtitles mencoder has better sub support then ffmpeg, ffmpeg is slowly adding sub support though. but yes the future is ffmpeg. :) it uses alot less cpu then mencoder also. i really am a fan of it. personally i use 5,1,1 (lossless) manually this was the default before automatic (wired) was added. and i never had a problem so i choose that. the automatic mode can down the quality depending on the file from what i seen in the code, say its a 1920x1080 file and the network is 100mbit it will down the quality automatically. i prefer to know its always on lossless quality. im just fussy like that.
mazey

Next

Return to General Help and Support