Finds only local renderers, not network ones

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Finds only local renderers, not network ones

Postby jlabaer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:55 pm

I know that the topic of the inability to find renderers has been addressed quite a few times, but I feel like I have tried every solution suggested and I am still stuck. Previously, I had PS3 Media Server working well on my network. However, I had to replace my NAS device (old and new: WD Sentinel DX4000 running Windows Storage Server 2008 R2), which is the device that the PS Media Server was installed and running on. I installed the latest version of PS3MS (1.90.1) on the new NAS and it seems to be running ok except that it cannot find any renderers on my network. If open up on Windows Media Player on the NAS device itself, then the PS3MS finds the local Windows Media Player as a renderer and I get the lovely green check mark. But if I open WMP on a networked computer, or my PS3, or other devices that previously worked, they are not found (and they do not see PS3MS).

I have tried:
1. Forcing IP of the server on PS3MS to the actual IP of the NAS device on which it is running (see attachment General Setup)
2. Forcing the network on interface to the IP of the NAS device on which it is running
3. Using port forward on my Router (Lynksys E4200) to reserve port 5001 to the IP of the NAS device (see attachment router image)
4. Rebooting the router
5. Allowed Java and PS3MS to communicate through the Windows Firewall on the NAS
6. Created inbound and outbound rules for PS3MS on Windows Firewall on the NAS that "allow the connection"

The log file seems to indicate that the server (see attachment log file)
-used the forced address
-created the socket: /192.168.1.144:5001
-The server should now appear on your renderer
-Renderer WMP found on this address: 192.168.1.144
-No IP filter specified, access granted to /192.168.1.117 (there are a series of these to various IP addresses on my network)

I feel like it is very close, but I cannot figure out how to pinpoint what is wrong and how to fix it. I would welcome advice.

Thanks!
Attachments
router image.PNG
Shows port settings on router
router image.PNG (15.67 KiB) Viewed 623 times
General Setup.fw.png
Shows network settings on PS3MS
General Setup.fw.png (86.89 KiB) Viewed 623 times
9_28_log file.fw.png
Shows example log file
9_28_log file.fw.png (207.07 KiB) Viewed 623 times
jlabaer

Re: Finds only local renderers, not network ones

Postby meskibob » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#p34933
Start with section talking about identifying the network as a home network.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby jlabaer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks for this suggestion. My NAS device was already on the network as a Home Network.
I did this anyway, but no apparent change.
jlabaer

Postby jlabaer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:18 am

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions to add to this? I am out of ideas. This has worked before on my network, but for some reason it does not want to work now. I wonder if it has to do with the Windows Storage Server 2008 settings.

As a possible workaround, can I run PS3MS on my desktop computer and point to folders on my storage server. In other words, can I serve files from another networked device?

Any and all advice is welcome.
jlabaer

Postby meskibob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:20 pm

The FAQ contains all known connection issues. Check each help point individually, and make sure to check the settings for ALL firewall/AV/protection programs you have installed.

But to your second question, PMS can access any drive (local or network) that is mapped to a drive letter. UNC paths are not currently support IIRC.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support