New installer for Mac OSX

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: New installer for Mac OSX

Postby jlabreu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:13 pm

I try to install it, but unfortunately I can't. I receive the message below, can anybody help please, we can't watch our movies. Thanks!!!! BTW, I have Mac OS X 10.8.4 (2.8 Gz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM).
"Installer quit unexpectedly while using the libjvm.dylib plug-in.
Click Reopen to open the application again. This report will be sent to Apple Automatically."
jlabreu

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 pm

There are a lot of search results if you google for:

osx Installer quit unexpectedly while using the libjvm.dylib plug-in

Looks like this thing happens to more programs.
I haven't seen any usable solutions among the search results, though.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby jlabreu » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks!!!!
jlabreu

Postby LouCypherMW » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:24 am

Me too having the crash during installation (I can provide the crash report if anybody is interested in).
I'm running OSX 10.6.8 alias Snow Leopard. With this version Apple provides and maintains the JRE as part of the OS but in Version 6. For the JRE 7 Oracle lists OSX 10.7.3 alias Lion as Minimum System requirement. My assumption now is that the PMS 1.9 has bundled a recent JRE 7 release in it's package which is incompatible with OSX 10.6 which is causing the installation crash.

If this assumption is correct then there appear a couple of questions:
1.) Is it possible to provide a Mac-PMS without bundled JRE? This of course requires that the PMS code doesn't use any Java Interface which isn't available before Java 7.
2.) I did some digging but haven't found any system requirements for the PMS. A corresponding list at a prominent place would be certainly helpful.
3.) Or even better: A corresponding message box during the setup process if anything doesn't fit the requirements. I know that this isn't easy but at least the OS Version could be queried.

If my assumption isn't correct any hint what can go wrong would be very appreciated.
LouCypherMW

Postby wjs1820 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Having the same problem with OSX 10.6.8. can't install... silent crash. Console message states bad CPU type. (Intel mac-mini 1.83 core duo, still running/used daily) Old Java can't be updated per java site. OSX cant be upgraded per Apple.
Sounds like we're caught in the Apple marketing plan. Upgrade or DIE!!!
So, Are we truly SOL on the upgrade or just for now?
wjs1820

Postby flyingpascal » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Hello there,

First of all, many thanks for all the work of the development team. PS3 media server is a great software that I have been using for three years. :) The current version I run is 1.82.0 on Mac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

I tried to update to PS3 media server 1.90.1 and got a few issues with both the setup program and the software. :?

When I first tried to run the setup program, it exited silently. Mac OSX console showed the following line.
Code: Select all
22/09/13 07:16:49,572 com.apple.launchd.peruser.506[304]: ([0x0-0x325d25a].PS3 Media Server Setup[44388]) Exited with code: 1

I then tried to switch to an admin user account and got the same.

I then tried to copy the setup progam in the "Applications" folder. Got it : it finally ran. So I quite agree with the following post earlier in that topic
macaudioguy wrote:A few issues with the new installer.
1. Installer needs to be in the Application folder in order to run
Thanks

But setup still failed to complete. I had then to delete previous software to finally have a successfull setup.

Then I switched back to a simple user account with no admin priviledges and try to run PS3 media server. It exited silently. Mac OSX console showed the following line.
Code: Select all
22/09/13 14:21:58,681 com.apple.launchd.peruser.506[287]: ([0x0-0x1e11e1].PS3 Media Server[2157]) Exited with code: 126

I finally rolled back to version 1.82.0. If anyone has a clue, I would be happy to give it a try.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards from the suburbs of Paris, France
flyingpascal

Postby joy77division » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm

The Gzip image, when uncompressed, unpacks a corrupted package every time. I have downloaded the .gz file many times, each time resulting in the same corrupted package. For what it's worth, my Mac OS x 10.6 account has administrator privileges. Is anyone else having this problem? I had to go into the repository and download version 1.82, which was the only version that would actually install for me. What gives? :x
joy77division

Postby helenseven » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Raptor399 wrote:
macaudioguy wrote:Why not leave it as a dmg or zip file where the user drag and drops the app where ever they want to install - this is prefered for many mac users as the installation method.

There are many .dmg's out there, but there are also a lot of installers out there. I don't think one method of installing is preferred over the other as long as it gets the job done quickly and easily.

Please drop the installer and use a simple zip file. The installer is causing problems and over complicating the issue.
Or failing that could you at least provide a standalone app (in a zip file) as an alternative for OS X users who have JRE 7 already on their system. It would save download bandwidth and the installer issues. I really don't like the installer.

Raptor399 wrote:The problem with .dmg's is that they can only be built on Mac OSX. The new installer can be built on all operating systems....

How do you compile the app bundle if you don't have access to a mac?
helenseven

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 pm

helenseven wrote:Please drop the installer and use a simple zip file. The installer is causing problems and over complicating the issue.
Or failing that could you at least provide a standalone app (in a zip file) as an alternative for OS X users who have JRE 7 already on their system. It would save download bandwidth and the installer issues. I really don't like the installer.

Apple actually wants developers to bundle the JRE with their app and dropped Java support long ago. For us, being in control of the JRE that is being shipped also simplifies things.

I can understand that nobody likes an installer that doesn't always work; that is very annoying indeed and suggestions to fix its bugs are welcome.

However remember that we come from a situation without installer that didn't always work either. And with half the population on Apple-JRE6 and the other half on Oracle-JRE7 (and a third half on OpenJRE) that problem was getting bigger and bigger. The installer is here to combat that problem.

Raptor399 wrote:The problem with .dmg's is that they can only be built on Mac OSX. The new installer can be built on all operating systems....

How do you compile the app bundle if you don't have access to a mac?

An app bundle is nothing more than a specific file structure. Stick to Apples definition and you end up with a working app bundle.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby helenseven » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Raptor399 wrote:However remember that we come from a situation without installer that didn't always work either. And with half the population on Apple-JRE6 and the other half on Oracle-JRE7 (and a third half on OpenJRE) that problem was getting bigger and bigger. The installer is here to combat that problem.

When I think about the bigger picture, bundling the JRE does make sense. (Its just that coming from a network with limited bandwidth and download allowance its grates when you have to download duplicates.)

One way of making the installer a bit more palatable would be a breakdown of what it does in a read me or a FAQ page.

A quick explanation of the options the installer gives would be good too. On step 4 it gives the option of deselecting the Configuration. Why might I want to deselect that?

Raptor399 wrote:An app bundle is nothing more than a specific file structure. Stick to Apples definition and you end up with a working app bundle.

Interesting. As a non-developer, I presumed you needed Xcode to compile an app for OS X.
helenseven

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support