v1.90.1 Lagging 1080p, i5 16gb, N wireless

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

v1.90.1 Lagging 1080p, i5 16gb, N wireless

Postby ilya22 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Most of the playback is fine, but when it comes to scenes with a lot of details I get lagging.

specs:
i5-2400 @ 3.1GHz
16GB
nvidia GTX680 (if that's related)

router: Netgear dgn2200v2, N capable.
from testing, looks like the WIFI reception in the PS3 location is very good.
Network speed is 25-27Mb/s (from the Status tab > Current Bitrate)
tried setting max bandwidth to 25 and 20 - no change

I switched from MEncoder engine to VLC Video (VLC 1.0.8) and the lagging improved, BUT not enough.

What else can I do?
ilya22

Re: v1.90.1 Lagging 1080p, i5 16gb, N wireless

Postby meskibob » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p42818
Side note: if the PS3 is on wifi, you're at most getting 15mbps (the bitrate values in PMS are approximate), and more than likely getting less. Plus the PS3's wifi NIC is terrible. If at all possible, put the PS3 on a wired connection.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ilya22 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:41 pm

meskibob wrote:Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p42818
Side note: if the PS3 is on wifi, you're at most getting 15mbps (the bitrate values in PMS are approximate), and more than likely getting less. Plus the PS3's wifi NIC is terrible. If at all possible, put the PS3 on a wired connection.

It seems like I solved the issue, the settings I changed were:
back to MEncoder
transcoding quality - automatic wireless (it was on wired)
buffer - 400
max bandwidth - 25

and seems like the lags are gone.
I have no idea which one of the settings actually made the change...
ilya22

Postby ilya22 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 am

ilya22 wrote:
meskibob wrote:Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p42818

It seems like I solved the issue

Well maybe not, I watched a movie, up until 40min it was flawless and then it lost connection.
when I started again from that part, it started lagging horribly, even in parts I watched smoothly before.
The bitrate, the buffer and the CPU usage were all at about 100% constantly.
I restarted everything and no change.
ilya22

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 am

Your CPU usage shouldn't be maxed out while transcoding. On top of that, 15 Mb/sec is more than enough to stream 1080p over wifi as it's serving at a rate of 1.875 MB/sec. This all ties in with a small project I'm working on involving the MKV container.

Until my project is complete, try running Malwarebytes on your PC to check for adware/spyware that could be using your CPU. Also, reduce your core usage to 3 cores to allow your system one core for normal operation. This is under transcoding settings and number of threads to use. I have hyperthreading on my PC, but reduced the number of threads to use to reflect my cores rather than my available threads and it's holding rather well. Since you don't have hyperthreading, allowing one core for the PC should help keep things relatively even as far as waiting on data goes.
You can reduce your buffer back down to 200 MB as it won't help much. Your PC should be able to keep the buffer full with no issues what-so-ever.
I assume that you've modified your wifi output power to achieve the best wifi signal already since you're achieving 25 mb/sec and I've only managed about 10-ish from across the house.
Just make sure you're using CTS (Clear to Send) over your wifi connection and you shouldn't run into many problems. If bad comes to worse, download your transcoded video to your PS3 before you watch it. It'll take a while though. But I would also like to know the size and length (in time) of the transcoded video so that I can divide one by the other and figure out how many MB/sec is required to serve the video over wifi. I can then tell you EXACTLY what you need to know and do.

Also, when you are running a video on the PS3, check the buffer gauge on the status of PSM. It should be near-full or approaching it slowly.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby ilya22 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:26 am

d3m0n1q_733rz wrote:Your CPU usage shouldn't be maxed out while transcoding. On top of that, 15 Mb/sec is more than enough to stream 1080p over wifi as it's serving at a rate of 1.875 MB/sec. This all ties in with a small project I'm working on involving the MKV container.

Until my project is complete, try running Malwarebytes on your PC to check for adware/spyware that could be using your CPU. Also, reduce your core usage to 3 cores to allow your system one core for normal operation. This is under transcoding settings and number of threads to use. I have hyperthreading on my PC, but reduced the number of threads to use to reflect my cores rather than my available threads and it's holding rather well. Since you don't have hyperthreading, allowing one core for the PC should help keep things relatively even as far as waiting on data goes.
You can reduce your buffer back down to 200 MB as it won't help much. Your PC should be able to keep the buffer full with no issues what-so-ever.
I assume that you've modified your wifi output power to achieve the best wifi signal already since you're achieving 25 mb/sec and I've only managed about 10-ish from across the house.
Just make sure you're using CTS (Clear to Send) over your wifi connection and you shouldn't run into many problems. If bad comes to worse, download your transcoded video to your PS3 before you watch it. It'll take a while though. But I would also like to know the size and length (in time) of the transcoded video so that I can divide one by the other and figure out how many MB/sec is required to serve the video over wifi. I can then tell you EXACTLY what you need to know and do.

Also, when you are running a video on the PS3, check the buffer gauge on the status of PSM. It should be near-full or approaching it slowly.

Thanx
I have the CPU maxed out only while streaming, any other time it is near 1%.
It seems that movies lag only at specific places (for example, I watched Now You See Me and at the scene where they throw money on the crowd it lags. I guess since there are lots of detail on the screen)
can it be WIFI or transcoding related?
What is CTS? I have done nothing with my router.. could it be that the bitrate measure is wrong?

Also, could it be something caused by codecs? I have Klite and I heard that it's a crappy codec pack
ilya22

Postby ilya22 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:49 pm

I tried muxing instead of transcoding and the streaming is flawless,
can it mean it is my PC and not the bandwidth?
ilya22

Return to General Help and Support