PMS 1.90.1 Issues! Please Help!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS 1.90.1 Issues! Please Help!

Postby devinthedude » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 am

Ok I have never really had any issues with PMS in the past but just recently I started having playback issues on Xbox 360, Panasonic TV, and PS3. The video will pause and then resume many many times. It's almost unwatchable. I have read the FAQ that covers this issue and nothing has worked. My laptop is hooked up wirelessly and both the xbox and ps3 are wired. Just got a different router recently and it seemed to start happening after that. But I have done the port forwarding the router for the PMS and still nothing. And have checked other things in the router that would cause the PMS not too work. Sometimes it works fine, for example the other night I was watching something and it was fine until there was about 8 minutes left and it started to do the whole pausing/stuttering issue. I have tried uninstalling/installing PMS and also reverting back to an older version and still nothing. I'm pretty computer savvy so if I need to post a debug log or screenshots of my PMS settings I can. Any help is appreciated.
devinthedude

Re: PMS 1.90.1 Issues! Please Help!

Postby mazey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:17 am

sounds like interference on the wireless channel, change it to channel 1 6 or 11. or if you remember the old routers channel copy that.
PMS 1.90.2 SNAPSHOT - HP Proliant Microserver N54L 2.2Ghz - Windows Home Server 2011 (64bit) 8GB - Bravia KDL55HX750
mazey

Postby devinthedude » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 pm

The wireless channel is already on channel 11 and was on channel 11 with the old router when there were no issues. Also I forgot to mention in the first post but the majority of the videos I play are .mp4 files.
devinthedude

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Well, starting from point A to point B:
The computer needs to transcode the file which takes CPU cycles. If the computer is being used, it can't transcode properly sometimes.
Next, the computer must send the data on to the router (or directly to the PS3 if set in AP mode) which requires a certain amount of bandwidth between the computer and router to maintain a smooth video. If wireless N, not a problem. Ensure the connection is fine between the two by checking the wireless signal strength at both ends (routers will sometimes have this status for you. If not, your router sucks and you should see if you can change the firmware to something more open source that will enhance its capabilities).
After that, the router is required to forward the packets that it received from the computer on to the PS3. Now, streaming will sometimes allow for some overhead (buffer) in case the connection gets congested. As it turns out, your connection isn't maintaining its buffer. So...

I recommend increasing the cache size in your PS3 Media Server settings. On top of that, ensure your system is defragmented. If that doesn't help, try directly connecting your computer to the router and see if it still happens. If so, we've absolutely eliminated the possibility of it being wifi (or wifi settings) related. If not, then it's probably wifi related.

I'm going to go take a cat nap now. >(-_-)< ~
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby devinthedude » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm

d3m0n1q_733rz wrote:Well, starting from point A to point B:
The computer needs to transcode the file which takes CPU cycles. If the computer is being used, it can't transcode properly sometimes.
Next, the computer must send the data on to the router (or directly to the PS3 if set in AP mode) which requires a certain amount of bandwidth between the computer and router to maintain a smooth video. If wireless N, not a problem. Ensure the connection is fine between the two by checking the wireless signal strength at both ends (routers will sometimes have this status for you. If not, your router sucks and you should see if you can change the firmware to something more open source that will enhance its capabilities).
After that, the router is required to forward the packets that it received from the computer on to the PS3. Now, streaming will sometimes allow for some overhead (buffer) in case the connection gets congested. As it turns out, your connection isn't maintaining its buffer. So...

I recommend increasing the cache size in your PS3 Media Server settings. On top of that, ensure your system is defragmented. If that doesn't help, try directly connecting your computer to the router and see if it still happens. If so, we've absolutely eliminated the possibility of it being wifi (or wifi settings) related. If not, then it's probably wifi related.

I'm going to go take a cat nap now. >(-_-)< ~

How would I go about changing the cache size in the settings??
devinthedude

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:05 am

Doh! Sorry, I mistyped at 5 AM. >_<
You will probably want to change the BUFFER size from 200 MB to something a little higher. Its in the general transcoding settings. I doubled mine to 400 because my computer's a little slow. :lol:
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby devinthedude » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:05 am

I have tried that and still the same issue. I tried raising it to 400, 600, and even 800 and still the same issues. I have also tried changing the encoder to something else but still seem to be having the same problems. Could it be that the wireless connection is being congested? Because in our house we have anywhere from 8-10 devices connected wirelessly.
devinthedude

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:15 am

8-10 wireless devices on one router...yeah, it's a possibility. :lol:

Each of those devices requires a slice of time to transmit their data and a signal to let them know when nobody's sending to avoid sending at the same time. Depending on what router you have, you may be able to enable and disable CTS (Clear to Send) to let the devices know when to send their data. On top of that, if you're not using Wireless-N or AC, your bandwidth is being used up by the other devices.
I can only really give you advice for your wireless network if it's a Linux-based router such as DD-WRT or Open-WRT (which you might have a supported router). Using YeAH, HS-TCP, or Cubic is best idea for avoiding problems in your network in that order. You also want to use as many Wireless N devices as possible and avoid running your router in Wireless-B compatibility if possible as it will greatly slow down your network.
If this doesn't fix anything, your computer might have a difficult time converting the data for the PS3 to use, but I highly doubt it's the case as even my old P4 can handle it with the right codecs and settings.
If bad comes to worse, change your settings from automatic (wired) to automatic (wireless) in PMS. It will reduce quality a little, but it will reduce the amount of data that needs to be sent to the PS3 as well. :|
It's possible to run at least 2 other devices over wifi and have the PS3 receive data at a decent rate, but I don't have 8 - 10 wireless devices to test, so I couldn't tell you if it will handle it with optimum settings.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby devinthedude » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 am

I changed it from automatic (wired) to automatic (wireless). Haven't tested it yet though. Here is a screen shot of my settings for each page. Sorry I tried to post screenshots using the /img but it wouldn't come up.

http://postimg.org/image/w4jhzkrxj/
http://postimg.org/image/d4ldlwhhd/
http://postimg.org/image/fdi7peznv/
http://postimg.org/image/wr8o9hb2v/
devinthedude

Return to General Help and Support