Resume fails after pausing

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Resume fails after pausing

Postby WrinkledCheese » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:18 am

When I pause a stream on my XBOX using XBMC for XBOX or on my XBOX 360 using the native upnp client, when I resume the stream, it seems like whatever the client has buffered will play, but then playback will fail.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is client related, but it didn't always happen on the XBOX, I used to be able to pause it for days and it would resume.

I've only recently started using the XBOX 360 as a client as I was unaware it had a native upnp client and the XBOX 360 is unmoded.

I also have a PS3 and the native upnp client on that seems to work fine and has no issues with resuming streams after days of pausing.

The only thing that has changed, and I have not tried again, is that I used to use PMS 1.8.2 and I recently updated to 1.9.1. Could be related as it started happening around the same time.

Any ideas?
WrinkledCheese

Re: Resume fails after pausing

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Does this happen after about an hour or so? TCP and UDP have timeout periods which set-in depending on the status of the connection. UDP is about 10 minutes, and TCP is about 100 minutes by default. This changes based on router and settings.
But I don't know specifically what data is being transmitted between the XBox and PC during pause moments. This could go back to a buffer issue I heard about earlier, but don't quote me on it.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby WrinkledCheese » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:59 am

I had a buffer issue before, when the buffer would fill, it would cause the video to randomly skip. I found a very useful post but I can't find it anymore, it was about editing the PMS.sh script and changing the stack haep andbuffer memory settings in for the Java command. I've found similar posts but they don't give the limits of the memory settings. It was somewhere around 1400, so I just set it to 1000 and away I go, no skips and no buffer shortages causing choppy playback.

However, if it was the TCP or UDP timeouts, I would suspect the PS3 would exhibit the same problems since the issue would be with the router. I will do some tests when I get a chance. I also believe my rounter has TCP keepalive enabled which sends random pings to keep a TCP session open.

This test proceeds assuming success of the previous step.

Pause router for timeout settings - 1 minute then resume.
Pause router for timeout settings + 1 minute then resume.
Repeat for TCP/UDP.

I was hoping someone with an XBOX w/ XBMC4XBOX or XBOX 360 w/ Native Client had the same issue.
WrinkledCheese

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:09 am

Assuming that you have it physically wired to your router and that you have had it run wirelessly before:

Disconnect the wire from the back of the XBox or router. Either one will have the same effect. Connect via wireless. Disconnect from wireless via the Y button. Reconnect the cable.
This problem has existed with other media servers since about a year ago at least. It seems that even though the wireless should be disconnected, it still attempts to connect to the wifi during idle times.

Hope this helps. 8-)
d3m0n1q_733rz

Return to General Help and Support