FLAC playback still not working

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

FLAC playback still not working

Postby SopMod2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Hello!
I have registered in order to ask this question (by the way great piece of software, thank you).

I have spent the whole day in order to make FLAC playback to work. But it's a big no go. All FLAC show up as "unsupported" data, and I cannot play it.
I have the latest version of PMS 1.90.1. I have also installed CCCP. There is no Mplayer in the audio engines, my main one is FFmpeg.

I have read all around the forums where people have the same issue, but there is no solution whatsoever. I have even installed Tversity media server, and there it works, but it doesn't stream Dolby. I like PMS more so I am trying to make this work.

Are there any solutions for this? It seems that it's completely ignored...
Thank you in advance!
SopMod2

Re: FLAC playback still not working

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 am

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the problem lies in the PS3.conf file. It's a bit outdated and many of the formats are using old or generic mime types that don't really specify what they are. For example, the WAV container utilizing the LPCM data format would have a mime type of audio/l16 or l24 based on the sample size. However, it uses a generic mime type of audio/wav which doesn't say much about its contents. The same is said for DTS. Unfortunately, all renderers expect different mime types, so it's a trial and error process to find what works specifically. But just tossing it all out as generic wav data is a little sloppy.
I've also managed to add flv video with success.
Now, another thing that COULD be the problem is changes in FFmpeg and its default settings. There may need to be some options specified to it in order to get the proper data for the PS3 to handle. I've seen how some people were specifying the parameters for the sample size to FFmpeg. They say it works, but I haven't figured out how to do this properly as of yet.
I'm hoping that the conversions will be fixed soon. I would like to start trying to use TAK if possible since there's now a directshow filter.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:09 am

It appears to work well in 1.90.2 which is a dev release. Take a look at it and download the dependency version before renaming to PMS.jar and placing it in the program directory.

Correction: I fixed it! As it turns out, for LPCM data, you need to have it separate from the wav section. Create a new line in the PS3.conf file under audio and make one out for Supported = f:lpcm a:lpcm n:6 s:48000 m:audio/l16
If you have/use DTS, you'll need to separate that one as well but find the correct mime type for it. But this should handle everything. ^_^
Oh, and don't forget to remove references to LPCM from the wav line.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby radamo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:33 pm

I can't locate the PS3.conf in the new version?

Nevermind... under renderers.
radamo

Postby radamo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:44 pm

This did not help with my unsupported data issue.
radamo

Postby compaddict » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Me too.
compaddict

Postby fontanin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:25 am

FLAC files working on 1.90.1 and PS3.
My solution was modify ps3.conf

TranscodeAudio = WAV

to
TranscodeAudio = LPCM

In the supported audio formats section:

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:wav a:dts n:6 s:48000 m:audio/wav # <<<<<<<<<<<< edited line
Supported = f:wav n:2 s:48000 m:audio/wav
Supported = f:mp3 n:2 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:aac n:2 m:audio/x-m4a a:(?!alac).+
Supported = f:wma n:2 m:audio/x-ms-wma
Supported = f:atrac n:2 m:audio/x-oma
Supported = f:lpcm a:lpcm n:6 s:48000 m:audio/l16 # <<<<<<<<<<<< added line

Hope this help you.
fontanin

Postby compaddict » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Thank you!
compaddict

Postby YOUCANNOTDENY » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:36 pm

The above solution allows the FLAC files to play, albeit with some problems. If I uncheck "Automatic audio resampling to 44.1 or 48 kHz," the audio plays too fast, telling me that FFmpeg Audio is resampling my 44.1 kHz files to 48 kHz. But because they play at regular speed when I enable "Automatic audio resampling to 44.1 or 48 kHz," this tells me that FFmpeg Audio is resampling my 44.1 kHz files to 48 kHz and then back to 44.1 kHz. Is there any way to fix this? (changing the sampling rate in PS3.conf doesn't work). Resampling twice, of course, would inevitably cause audio degradation.

Also, has anyone successfully gotten 24 bit FLACs to work without resampling? I can see the files under the Video tab of my PS3, but when I try to play them I get "An HTTP error (500) has occurred."
YOUCANNOTDENY

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Ooh, you're a tricky one. I like that. I'll mess around with it to see if I can get 48000 to play. But the 24-bit would require adding a line specifically for 24-bit and would most likely require coding to AAC or something similar since only 16-bit WAV is accepted...I think.
If you notice the line for LPCM, the mime type is l16. This means 16-bit LPCM. The mime type for 24-bit LPCM would be l24 which is not recognized by the PS3 as far as I've seen.
Now, as with the resampling to 44.1 or 48 kHz, are you certain that your original is one of those? If so, then it shouldn't resample at all and should actually just play it normally. However, if it is something along the lines of 96000 or so, then you will need the resampling button checked. I have a few files I can test this with. Feel free to thank Pink Floyd for that. :P
d3m0n1q_733rz

Next

Return to General Help and Support