Best way to setup the latest version of PMS

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Best way to setup the latest version of PMS

Postby scotster » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm finding most of the guides and information a little bit outdated now, as I'm really struggling to get the recent versions of PMS working to the same standards as the old version.

For example I just spent the best part of an hour trying to watch an MKV file on my XB360. It wouldn't play no matter what transcoder option I selected, I checked the settings and I tried absolutely everything before eventually just giving up.

A quick browse around the net searching for the code error that I was getting brought up a VERY old thread that involved downgrading from 1.25 to 1.20. Just for the sake of trying it I downloaded 1.20 and it's working great.

I still get the same issues with the modern versions with the stuttering on the PS3 (Avi's pausing, video continuing for a few seconds, stuttering, etc) so I'm hoping that the downgrade will help with those issues too.

In the meantime though, is there anything I should be looking at to set up the latest version of PMS so that these previous features work as they used to?

Cheers :)
scotster

Re: Best way to setup the latest version of PMS

Postby t0mmyr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 am

i too would like to hear some others inputs as well, i just noticed 1.90.1 for windows is out so i downloaded it but i'm hesistant to install it.

last time i installed 1.82 over 1.81 and it broke my ability to watch a lot of the type of movies i have stored. i had to roll back to 1.81 which is something i've never done with pms in the past, it's ways been solid with upgrades for years for me. the only method i use to playback movies over gigabit smoothly in HD is tsmuxer + dts, mencoder or anything else just skiops and usually crashes before 2minutes into the film, is there anyway to fix that? my windows 8 proc pc is finely tuned and fast, stable for months without needing reboots (but i have rebooted many times in the past when i just cant figure out some video clips that wont play in tsmuxer and feel like java crashes when i have to endtask it once the ps3 hangs, it still usually doesnt help and i end up having to either mkvmerge or mkv2vob the file to fix it right for pms)
t0mmyr

Re: Best way to setup the latest version of PMS

Postby kanti123 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:20 pm

1.90.1 works great for me. I use the same old settings from my last version. I would install it and try it out, I wouldn't hurt to try it. everyone computer is different you can base it on somebody else's computer. you can always uninstall it if it doens't work.
My Setup
Computer
Asus G73Jw
16Gig of ram
2x 512Gig of HDD
1 Gigabit LAN line
Geforce GTX460M

Output Setup
PS3 Slim
1000 base full band
HDMI to Denon AVR-4311CI to Samung un55ES7100 (Calibrated with X-Rite i1Pro Enhanced from Spectracal)
kanti123

Return to General Discussion