Not sure who is the bitrate

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Not sure who is the bitrate

Postby escipion » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:38 am

Hello everyone.
I'm trying to understand how PMS works.
Watching a 1080p MKV, I see the current bitrate is about 70-100-120 Mb / s, the peak bitrate: 182 Mb / s.
Im not sure How this work. if a bitrate of 10Mb / s in one hour is approx 36GB.
How work the current bitrate? That number is real?

Thx
Escipion
escipion

Re: Not sure who is the bitrate

Postby mazey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:54 am

its because when its being transcoded because your device doesnt have the codec natively, im guessing in your case its a mkv it needs to convert it to a compatible format which usually is mpeg since every device can support it, and the bitrate would be very high because it wants to do it in the highest quality (you can adjust these settings to lower in transcode settings) this is why you are seeing a transfer size so high and the size would be more then the filesize.

the speed you are seeing is real and nothing to worry about unless your network cant support a transfer so high, you can adjust a max bitrate speed and quality settings in ps3 media server config if you have issues if you dont nothing to worry about its working as intended.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby meskibob » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm

To note, it's Mbps, not MBps (megabit vs megabyte), so you're off by a factor of 8.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby escipion » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:44 pm

mazey wrote:its because when its being transcoded because your device doesnt have the codec natively, im guessing in your case its a mkv it needs to convert it to a compatible format which usually is mpeg since every device can support it, and the bitrate would be very high because it wants to do it in the highest quality (you can adjust these settings to lower in transcode settings) this is why you are seeing a transfer size so high and the size would be more then the filesize.

the speed you are seeing is real and nothing to worry about unless your network cant support a transfer so high, you can adjust a max bitrate speed and quality settings in ps3 media server config if you have issues if you dont nothing to worry about its working as intended.

Ok, I have no problems with the connection, used to come to 87Mb / s and collapsed. Change transcoding parameters quiality and now I can get to have peaks and falls 182 streaming.
It was more of a technical curiosity, since I work well.

But, if I'm using my server PC, and it plays MKV fine, that would have to transcoded too?

meskibob wrote:To note, it's Mbps, not MBps (megabit vs megabyte), so you're off by a factor of 8.

Ah thanks that was a question that had also, not Megabytes are megabits.

( Sorry for my English is not very fluid.)
escipion

Postby mazey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 pm

its the device you are playing on that needs to have the codec or its transcoded, if its a ps3 for example it does not have a mkv codec and needs to be transcoded, most devices except for a few i know of like wdtv live do not come with mkv codec hence it needs to convert it to mpeg so it will play on the device.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby escipion » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 am

mazey wrote:its the device you are playing on that needs to have the codec or its transcoded, if its a ps3 for example it does not have a mkv codec and needs to be transcoded, most devices except for a few i know of like wdtv live do not come with mkv codec hence it needs to convert it to mpeg so it will play on the device.

Ok, in this case is a Sony Bravia TVsmart.
Thank you very much for clearing my doubts about how it works
escipion

Postby mazey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 am

you're welcome, i have a bravia also and its one of the only codecs it doesnt have (it has avi/mp4/mpg) though the good news is now sony is putting mkv codecs on its 2013+ tvs, so my next bravia purchase will have mkv and no more transcoding needed. :)
mazey

Postby escipion » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Great News
escipion

Return to General Help and Support