[xbox 360] works on fresh install, but not after...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

[xbox 360] works on fresh install, but not after...

Postby tr4g- » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 am

i had an older version of pms that I used a year or so ago. It worked great with my ps3. Now I have windows 8 and it doesn't work for my ps3 or my 360. All the videos show up, but I get streaming errors... So I downloaded the newest version of pms and it worked! I could play movies etc. However, after rebooting my pc, a couple days later its back to the streaming errors. The pms log doesnt show anything after the fact that its initiating streaming of the file....the xbox just doesn't play the movie. it says the format is unsupported...yet I had it working a day ago on the same files!! What gives? Any ideas here? EVerything is hardwired together, so network speed is not the issue (50mb down)
tr4g-

Re: [xbox 360] works on fresh install, but not after...

Postby tr4g- » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 am

Ok so... here is some more information:

Both xbox and pc are hardwired to my FIOS router. This is also a ps3 problem, so it is probably something general or maybe even my router? although ps3 is connected wirelessly, everytime I try to play a movie i get error 500...

does anyone have any ideas whatsoever...?

am i missing drivers? I don't understand. Ive been using this program for literally 4 years and now it striaght up will not work. Will anybody at least respond so I know I'm being heard?

How have you guys gotten this working on windows 8......I have a ridiculous movie library and i can't watch any of them on my bigass tv.... mkv files are my good movies and WMC for 360 cant play them!! ANYone?
tr4g-

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:16 pm

tr4g- wrote:The pms log doesnt show anything after the fact that its initiating streaming of the file....the xbox just doesn't play the movie. it says the format is unsupported...yet I had it working a day ago on the same files!!

If the log file doesn't say anything and the same files played the day before, the network traffic is your main suspect. Sounds like the packets that PMS sends never arrive at the Xbox. I don't know Windows 8, perhaps it's a firewall issue of some sort?
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby tr4g- » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 am

Raptor399 wrote:
tr4g- wrote:The pms log doesnt show anything after the fact that its initiating streaming of the file....the xbox just doesn't play the movie. it says the format is unsupported...yet I had it working a day ago on the same files!!

If the log file doesn't say anything and the same files played the day before, the network traffic is your main suspect. Sounds like the packets that PMS sends never arrive at the Xbox. I don't know Windows 8, perhaps it's a firewall issue of some sort?

thanks for the response. I believe it is something network related as well. I have tried diabling the firewalls and have still had no success. Im going to run linux and see if that changes anything.
tr4g-

Postby AmishArmadillo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 am

Hi, I found this post via the google search: "ps3 media server xbox windows 8 firewall" I read the 'Problem Reporting Guidelines', and I did not find anything similar reported.

I installed this program last night (11/03/2013) on my dell windows 8 laptop and used it for a full day (actually my kids/wife used it while I was at work, they loved it as it was very convenient).

Problem Started: After the computer was restarted; I was no longed able to use my xbox 360 to access and watch videos which I had shared from my laptop.

What I tried to do to fix: I disabled my windows firewall, and Mcafee firewall, restarted the computer; didnt work; googled the problem.

What I can do to recreate problem:
On Computer with working PMS:
On Computer: Restart computer, run PMS, it will show the 'Plug' and only the plug. It will not change.
On Xbox: go to system media player; it will not see PMS Folder;
On Computer: I click restart server;
On xBox: now PMS files are visible; when I select a file that i KNOW has worked before, xbox "thinks" for awhile and then comes back w/ an error message and "says": Could not connect to xbox; this could be a firewall issue; do you want to check network connection?.

To Fix: I reinstall PMS over top itself.

I have repeated the above steps twice with the same result, and have decided ill just reinstall the program whenever I want to use it.

Like this program, it is really cool. I hope the above description helps fix this issue...

Thanks.
AmishArmadillo

Postby meskibob » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Sounds like a permissions issue. Try re-installing with Run as Administrator on the installer.
If that doesn't work, follow the problem reporting guidelines to update Java/PMS and provide the debug.log.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support