New installer for Mac OSX

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

New installer for Mac OSX

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 am

smo has been so nice to add the "-P osx" flag to the Jenkins snapshot build, so the new Mac OSX installer is now available for download in the workspace target directory.

Here is how it works:

• Download the archive file pms-setup-macosx-1.90.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
  • Show the archive file in the Finder and open it to unpack the setup application.
  • Use "Open" from the file menu to open the "PS3 Media Server Setup" application. (OSX Lion will block double clicks on downloaded files, so you must use the file menu).

I'm looking for feedback on this new installer, so please post your findings!
Raptor399
Project Member

Re: New installer for Mac OSX

Postby macaudioguy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:17 pm

A few issues with the new installer.
1. Installer needs to be in the Application folder in order to run
2. Installer does not prompt for an installation destination, defaults to Applications
3. This may not be related but there does not seem to be a mplayer option for audio-needed for m4a and flac playback

Why not leave it as a dmg or zip file where the user drag and drops the app where ever they want to install - this is prefered for many mac users as the installation method.

Thanks
macaudioguy

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:31 pm

macaudioguy wrote:A few issues with the new installer.
1. Installer needs to be in the Application folder in order to run

No, it doesn't. You can execute the installer wherever you downloaded and unpacked it.

2. Installer does not prompt for an installation destination, defaults to Applications

True. This is maybe something for a future version as adding a panel for choosing the directory is fairly trivial in IzPack.

3. This may not be related but there does not seem to be a mplayer option for audio-needed for m4a and flac playback

Could be, I haven't delved into this.

Why not leave it as a dmg or zip file where the user drag and drops the app where ever they want to install - this is prefered for many mac users as the installation method.

There are many .dmg's out there, but there are also a lot of installers out there. I don't think one method of installing is preferred over the other as long as it gets the job done quickly and easily.

The problem with .dmg's is that they can only be built on Mac OSX. The new installer can be built on all operating systems, including Windows and Linux, which not only is a big plus for the devs, but as you can read in the original post it also frees up the way for automatic nightly builds.

Thanks for the feedback!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby macaudioguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:24 am

You are correct the installer will run anywhere, but it must be run from an Administrator account to install the the Application directory otherwise it fails without any messages. Adding the ability to pick the destination directory I assume would remove this requirement.

Otherwise looks good, I can understand the need to standardize the build process. Embedding Java was a great idea.

Thanks again
macaudioguy

Postby Brenden » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 pm

After unpacking the .tar.gz, I right-click and select "open", only to be greeted by a message: "You can’t open the application “PS3 Media Server Setup” because it may be damaged or incomplete." My account is an administrator account.

Edit: macaudioguy is correct. It worked when I put it in the Applications folder.
Brenden

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 am

Brenden wrote:After unpacking the .tar.gz, I right-click and select "open", only to be greeted by a message: "You can’t open the application “PS3 Media Server Setup” because it may be damaged or incomplete." My account is an administrator account.

Are there any detailed messages about the error in the console when you open "Applications > Utilities > Console"?
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Cabal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I run PMS as an unprivileged user (unpack dmg, run wherever, etc).

Is this no longer possible?
Cabal

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 pm

The installer will unpack PMS in the Applications folder, but you should be able to move it anywhere from there.
As far as I know there are no access or path restrictions on the application itself.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Cabal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:16 pm

I guess I won't get far if I don't want to muddy the /Applications folder, though. Seems pretty unwieldy. At least there are alternatives.
Cabal

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 am

I have looked into changing the installer to allow directory selection, but that opens up a can of worms.
Adding the option appears to be as simple as changing the panel in install.xml from

Code: Select all
        <panel classname="DefaultTargetPanel" />

to
Code: Select all
        <panel classname="TargetPanel" />

but it will bring up all sorts of problems when choosing the installation path.

Problems that I see:
  • Directory selection is pretty straight forward, but the end result is dodgy: you may end up with a double directory at the end (e.g. "/Applications/pms/pms".
  • IzPack does not provide a way to fix the "Save as" property. This has to end in ".app" or PMS will not be clickable as application

Unless these problems are solved, I'm not supporting a selectable installation path in the PMS installer for Mac OSX because it will cause more problems than it solves.
Raptor399
Project Member

Next

Return to Mac OS X Support