Bitrate not dropping

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Bitrate not dropping

Postby DotComm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:54 am

Hi. When playing HD content the bitrate skyrockets to about 60 Mbps and studders on the PS3. I find it studders at any level around 15 so I am trying to drop it to this level. SD contect plays fine, and is in fact at 1 Mbps or less. I am using a Intel Quad Core Q9550 @ 3.2 Ghz with 4 GBs of ram so I feel it is safe to assume it is not an issue on the computer side. I am running on wireless put the whole point is to be able to wirelessly send the video to my tv in the basement. I am using Avisynth/FFmpeg using the CoreAVC codec for HD playback.
For program settings I have the transcoder set to keyint=25:vqmax=8:vqmin=3 and the bandwidth limited to 15 though, as many people have said, this doesn't affect a limit at all. I am asking if anyone has gotten any luck condensing the stream. I don't mind making the CPU work harder as it can take it so if there is a way I can transfer the strain from streaming a large amount to the PS3 to a small condensed stream that is exactly what I want. Thanks for any advice.
DotComm

Re: Bitrate not dropping

Postby silverlw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:35 am

I am using the exact same preset in order to get a somehow stable videostream.
It's frustrating to have bandwith and a quadcore CPU but nomatter what I do I can't constrain the stream except by using low preset values. My CPUs are idling at 2% most of the time.
What happened to the multicore CPU development?
silverlw

Postby Glennani » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:16 am

well, there is nothing wrong with your CPU, or PC for that matter. When the bitrate jumps through the roof it's either because your CPU is not good enough (which in your case is not the issue) or the network just simply can't handle it. I had 100Mbit wired network at home before, and when playing 1080p movies the network couldn't handle it, and the bitrate went through the roof. Changed to Gigabit network, and everything worked perfectly. I think it's safe to blame your wireless, if 100Mbit wired network isn't even good enough, then I think it's safe to say that it is your wireless network that is the issue, not the PC.
Glennani

Postby silverlw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 am

Thanx for the feedback. No I atleast use 100mbit wire. Can the ps3 handle gigabit?
I still thinks this is somekind of error because limiting the bandwith doesn't matter at all and I have never seen close to 100% CPU utilization. The only reason I use the wifi preset is because the compression values (very low quality) works most of the time. If I use higher quality instead the CPU utilization wount be harder but stutters occurs more often. If there is some kind of problem with bandwith I have to live with that but how to get my quadcore to work harder then?
I have entered pms to use 4 cores.
silverlw

Postby DotComm » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 pm

I switched over to avisynth/Mencoder and it appears to be play 720 with no problem what so ever now. It must be that ffmpeg is not accepting the limits that PMS sends to it and does it at the full potential.
DotComm

Return to General Help and Support