Embedded sub loaded instead of external and flashing VobSub

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Embedded sub loaded instead of external and flashing VobSub

Postby leroy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:26 pm

hi,

I noticed that embedded subtitles instead of external are loaded by default.
With a .srt file placed in the same folder, named the same as the video file,
and the GUI option "Automatically load *.srt/*.sub subtitles with the same file name" checked.

Also when transcoding mkv files with embedded VobSub the subtitle (some times but regular) flashes one time before it appears on tv.

I have uploaded a mkv sample file (80 MB) with embedded VobSub tracks and an external .srt file to MediaFire.

Here the debug.log with this mkv file played in the default folder (not trough the transcode folder),
where the embedded sub is used instead of the external .srt

additional info:
Windows 7 64 bit
PMS version: 1.82.0 (same behavior with current snapshot build)
Used transcode engine: MEncoder
leroy

Re: Embedded sub loaded instead of external and flashing Vob

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:46 pm

leroy wrote:I noticed that embedded subtitles instead of external are loaded by default.

This is a bug. Thanks for reporting it and providing a test case. For now, use the #--TRANSCODE--# folder.

Also when transcoding mkv files with embedded VobSub the subtitle (some times but regular) flashes one time before it appears on tv.

Does it still happen with a more recent MEncoder build?
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby leroy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:34 am

chocolateboy wrote:This is a bug. Thanks for reporting it and providing a test case. For now, use the #--TRANSCODE--# folder.

Indeed I thought just like you that this is a bug..
However after more testing I realised/noticed that if the audio/sub language priority settings match with an embedded subtitle track the embedded track is used,
and if the audio/sub language priority settings does not match, than the external subtitle is used.
This actually also makes sense right?

For example with the provided mkv sample file (without spanish subtitle track) and GUI settings:
Subtitles language priority = spa,eng,fre,jpn,ger,und
Audio/subtitles language priority = spa,off;*,spa;*,und
The external .srt subtitle is used.

I guess it is confusing that {External Subtitles} is added to the title while an embedded subtitle track is used.
Is it an idea to change the discription to {external subtitele available}?
Or maybe it is best to remove this addition if an embedded/internal subtitle is used..

Also I guess the GUI option:
"Automatically load *.srt/*.sub subtitles with the same file name" is some what misleading..
Is it an idea to rename this to something like:
"Automatically load *.srt/*.sub subtitles with the same file name only if the audio/sub language settings does not match"

Does it still happen with a more recent MEncoder build?

Unfortunately also the latest MEncoder build (SB52) gives the same flashing subtitle with VobSub subtitles.
leroy

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:56 am

leroy wrote:However after more testing...

Thanks. I've closed the issue.

I guess it is confusing that {External Subtitles} is added to the title while an embedded subtitle track is used.

Yes. The best way to bring it to the attention of someone who can fix/enhance it is to create a new issue.

Is it an idea to change the discription to {external subtitele available}?

No.

Or maybe it is best to remove this addition if an embedded/internal subtitle is used.

Maybe. Or maybe it should say "[Embedded Subtitle]". Or just "[Subtitle]".

Is it an idea to rename this to something like:
"Automatically load *.srt/*.sub subtitles with the same file name only if the audio/sub language settings does not match"

No. It's a label. Documentation belongs in the Help tab/PMS.conf.

Unfortunately also the latest MEncoder build (SB52) gives the same flashing subtitle with VobSub subtitles.

Feel free to create an issue, but bear in mind MEncoder is being phased out.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby mazey » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:15 am

chocolateboy wrote: Feel free to create an issue, but bear in mind MEncoder is being phased out.

what will replace it when its removed, mplayer2, ffmpeg, vlc?
PMS 1.90.2 SNAPSHOT - HP Proliant Microserver N54L 2.2Ghz - Windows Home Server 2011 (64bit) 8GB - Bravia KDL55HX750
mazey

Postby ExSport » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Will check your post (whole discussion I should say) later again when I will have more time but maybe problem is that your external subs are UND (if named exactly as the movie) but your embedded subs are tagged as SPA.
Then your audio/sub preference takes its job and loads correct subs upon your preference.
Try to name your external subs with language tag like [moviename.spa.srt].
If code works as it should, external subs takes precedence but only after audio/sub preference is met. It means if external subs will be taged with SPA a internal subs will exist with SPA, external ones will take lead.
But when external ones will be named exactly as the movie (it is taken as UND subs), audio/sub preference will load SPA and then UND. SPA is found as embeded so they are loaded and UND ones are totally ignored because in the preference it is less preferred one [Audio/subtitles language priority = spa,off;*,spa;*,und].
I agree that {External Subtitles} is misleading. It says only that external subs exist. Nothing more. If they will be played, it is upon your audio/sub preference settings 8-)
ExSport

Postby leroy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the detailed info ExSport!

I now have tested the given mkv sample file with external srt by using next settings:

PMS version: 1.82.0 (same behavior with current snapshot build)
Subtitles language priority = dut,eng,und
Audio/subtitles language priority = dut,off;*,dut;*,und
"Automatically load *.srt/*.sub subtitles with the same file name" = checked
The external .srt subtitle renamed to "sample.dut.srt"

So if the code works as you have explained, the external .srt subtitle should be used. right?
However the dutch embeded VobSub is used by default.

So this does look like to be a bug in the code.

Here the debug.log with the sample mkv file played in the default folder,
with above settings where the dutch embeded VobSub is used.
leroy

Postby ExSport » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks for log. You are right. It is a bug as shown below:
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:55.099 [New I/O server worker #1-7] Parsing results: sample.mkv / container: mkv / bitrate: 10932148 / size: 81284619 / codecV: h264 / duration: 00:00:59.00 / width: 1920 / height: 800 / frameRate: 23.962 / thumb size : 0 / muxingMode: null
audio: id=0 / lang: und / flavor: null / codec: dts / sf:48000 / na: 6 / bs: 24
sub: id=0 / lang: en / flavor: null / type: VOBSUB
sub: id=1 / lang: de / flavor: null / type: VOBSUB
sub: id=2 / lang: fr / flavor: null / type: VOBSUB
sub: id=3 / lang: it / flavor: null / type: VOBSUB
sub: id=4 / lang: nl / flavor: null / type: VOBSUB
sub: id=5 / lang: tr / flavor: null / type: VOBSUB
sub: id=106 / lang: dut / flavor: null / type: SUBRIP
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Looking for an audio track with lang: dut
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Looking for an audio track with lang: eng
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Looking for an audio track with lang: und
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Matched audio track: Audio: DTS / lang: und / flavor: null / ID: 0
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Searching for a match for: und with dut and off
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Searching for a match for: und with * and dut
TRACE 2013-06-17 21:35:59.069 [New I/O server worker #1-5] Found a match: DLNAMediaSubtitle{id=4, type=VOBSUB, flavor='null', lang='nl', externalFile=null, externalFileCharacterSet='null'}
subtitles language priority = dut,eng,und
Audio/subtitles language priority = dut,off;*,dut;*,und

UND audio is found so *,dut is applied for user preference. In this case external and embedded subs fits so external ones should be loaded but embeded ones are used so it is not true in this case. Weird.
I can see you are using v1.82.0. I know there was a fix for external/embedded subs behavior but don't remember when it was applied so if your version already include it...try the snapshot build.
ExSport

Postby leroy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks ExSport for verifying.
Unfortunately same behavior with current snapshot build.
Here the debug.log
leroy

Postby ExSport » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:17 pm

So then the bug persists because log is same.
But it is weird that your external sub file has ID:106. Generally it should be ID:100 but I don't suppose ID:100 will have different behavior but you can try it by clearing cache and restaring PMS.
Code: Select all
sub: id=106 / lang: dut / flavor: null / type: SUBRIP

But as I said I don't suppose it will fix it so it seems bug is still present in embedded/external logic...
ExSport

Next

Return to General Help and Support