PMS not starting - Java 7 issue in 10.8

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS not starting - Java 7 issue in 10.8

Postby edmund » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Recently I clean-installed Mountain Lion on all my machines and since Java 6 does not receive security updates anymore, I installed Java 7.
PMS cannot find Java 7 on Mountain Lion.
It starts and displays the message that Java 6 is needed and if i want to download it.

The setup was the following:

Fresh 10.8.3 install, Java 7 from Oracle, then PMS 1.81
From terminal, running java -version correctly reports:
java version "1.7.0_21"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b12)

I also tried with the 1.90.0 snapshot build, according to the problem reporting guidelines.
Same result.

Please note that i am trying to find a solution to this for the past ten days with too much googling but with no success.

Thanks in advance,

Ed.
edmund

Re: PMS not starting - Java 7 issue in 10.8

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm

This sounds a bit strange; PMS is a Java application.
If Java cannot be found, PMS cannot run, let alone display a message about it...?

You can try and edit the file "/Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Info.plist", maybe it contains wrong paths for your installation.
I still run Java 6 because that is what Apple still ships, alas I can't really replay your issue.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby edmund » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Oracle uses a different structure for her Java than Apple, i.e, it puts the virtual machine in different places.
Java can be found in the terminal, obviously. Netbeans, a GUI Java app, finds Java fine too.

I do know that some OS X Java apps are not yet updated to work with Oracle's different placement of Java VM in OS X. If someone else has a system with no Java 6 on it and only Java 7, it would be nice to know if this can be reproduced.

Btw, Apple does not ship Java 6 with the OS X anymore and in March it announced that it will no longer issue security updates for Java 6, i.e, it is deprecated. And as Java is the most vulnerable point of any operating system, I do not want to use the old, deprecated, unsafe version.

My info.plist is as follows:

Java = {
MainClass = "net.pms.PMS";
JVMVersion = "1.6+";
ClassPath = (
"$JAVAROOT/repo/net/pms/pms/1.82.0/pms-1.82.0.jar",
"$JAVAROOT/repo/org/beanshell/bsh-core/2.0b4/bsh-core-2.0b4.jar",
"$JAVAROOT/repo/commons-codec/commons-codec/1.7/commons-codec-1.7.jar",
"$JAVAROOT/repo/commons-collections/commons-collections/3.2.1/commons-collections-3.2.1.jar",

and it goes on with similar JAVAROOT lines, all pointing inside the PMS app bundle.
edmund

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:34 pm

edmund wrote:Btw, Apple does not ship Java 6 with the OS X anymore and in March it announced that it will no longer issue security updates for Java 6, i.e, it is deprecated.

Oh, I wasn't aware of this. I was waiting for them to finally adopt Java 7 and wondered what kept them... :roll:
Time to switch then.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Well switching was easy enough, but now building the distribution file won't work any more... :cry:

Googling for a solution, I found that others are having the exact same problem.
I'll have to look into a proper way to bundle PMS now. Oracle explains how packaging a Java App for distribution on a Mac should be done.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby edmund » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:56 pm

I will just wait for an updated version then :) Thanks!
edmund

Return to Mac OS X Support