Upgraged to PMS 1.82 and now cant play MKV files on my PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Upgraged to PMS 1.82 and now cant play MKV files on my PS3

Postby nettsquid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

The previous version was configured in a way that allowed me to play MKV files with no issue. Now when I try I get "This Content cannot be played" message. This goes for all MKV files.

Is this a configuration issue? After installing the new version, I noticed that in Common Transcode settings-> Misc Options -> Force Transcoding for the following extentions, MKV was populated. I do not recall having that setting before. To upgrade, I completely uninstalled the older version and the re-installed the current version, so I dont think any configuration settings where carried over. This leads me to think that the default setting is to have MKV in this field. I tried to remove it and restarted the server, and when I attempted to watch a MKV video on my PS3 I received the same error.

The only difference I noticed is that when MKV is populated in the "Force Transcoding for the following extensions" field, the MKV videos on my PS3 do not have thumbnails pics (all other files do). When I removed MKV from the field and saved the change, the restarted both the PMS and the PS3, the thumbnails appeared for all MKV files. But they didnt play, and I got the same error message.

I assume that in order to assist me in this matter you will need to know additional info - like my other config settings - but I have no clue what is needed. please let me know what info I need to add to this issue and I will gladly do it.

One of the main reasons I started using PMS was so I could watch MKV files. Please help.
nettsquid

Re: Upgraged to PMS 1.82 and now cant play MKV files on my P

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:09 pm

nettsquid wrote:please let me know what info I need to add to this issue and I will gladly do it.

Problem Reporting Guidelines
chocolateboy
Project Member

Re: PS3 Media Server 1.82.0 is released

Postby sanjeev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Sorry for the late update - I cannot play any mkv file with AC3 option on. If I turn it off, mkv works, but then it is the same old world of no or very slow audio after some time.

The error I am seeing is "Content Cannot be played". I can see a similar error posted in the forum as well. I can give the details/logs etc in the evening when I get home.

Thanks
Sanjeev
sanjeev

Re: PS3 Media Server 1.82.0 is released

Postby sanjeev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Apologies for the late update.

mkv files do not play with the AC-3 option on. If I turn it off, it is the same old world of slow audio like 1.81.

Everything works on 1.81 (albeit only on 2 channel stereo)

Best
Sanjeev
sanjeev

Return to General Help and Support