Buzzing instead of audio for all streamed video

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Buzzing instead of audio for all streamed video

Postby newuser » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 pm

I recently updated my system from mageia2 to mageia3 and also took the opportunity to update from PMS 1.71 to 1.82.0. The hardware being run on is an AMD64 bit processor with 8Gb of RAM. I'm streaming to a PS3 with the most current firmware and the devices are connected via a wired switch.

I've spent most of the day changing options and doing research but to no avail. My system will not play sound with .mp4, .avi, or .wmv files (although the video is fine); instead I get a buzzing/humming noise and occasional crackles. I'm using Mencoder for the Video engine currently but have also tried ffmpeg, VLC, and txMuxer. Playing .mp3 files from the server works.

I've checked that the PS3 video setting in both audio and sound are correct and gone through the System-Sound setting multiple times with multiple options (currently I'm using the defaults). The PS3 is connected to a Vizio TV via HDMI and sound is pushed back to a sony receiver from the TV via optical cable. I rolled back to the previously working version of PMS (1.71) but that didn't fix things. I suspect I'm somehow missing an audio codec but can't figure out which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
newuser

Re: Buzzing instead of audio for all streamed video

Postby newuser » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:02 am

Please disregard this post. The problem was that libmediainfo and libzen were not installed. Using the urpmi command line tool and standard repositories to install this resolved the issue.
newuser

Return to Linux/Unix Support