The most stupid question ever asked on here

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

The most stupid question ever asked on here

Postby RoDnSuE » Tue May 28, 2013 4:43 am

Hi all,

OK...after banging my head for the past week or so trying to make this work the way I think It works, I'm just going to ask.....

I have a Windows 7 home network with a Vizio smart TV. Model M3D421SR. I confirmed with Vizio that it is DLNA compatible & It will play AVI & MP4 videos via a USB memory stick.

Question #1
I DO NOT have a Playstation 3. Is PS3 media server suppose to serve media from a PC connected to my network without a Playstation 3?

Question #2
What is the definition of a renderer? Is a renderer the TV itself in this case?

I have tried so much that I'm begining to doubt my original premise of what PS3 media server is supposed to do. lol

Thanks,
Rod
RoDnSuE

Re: The most stupid question ever asked on here

Postby lindsay » Fri May 31, 2013 11:09 am

Most TV do have DLNA support now and can be watched this way.

Second it is PS3 mediaserver wich is rendering the content to your device like a TV with DLNA
lindsay

Postby mazey » Fri May 31, 2013 12:04 pm

if it accepts a network cable most likely it would work with ps3 media server if ure renderer is supported it should be detected, if not you can try forcing some other renderers which closely match what your tv is able to play or create ure own renderer profile. if there is no network cable connection then dlna would not be possible. the renderer is considered the device you are playing to like a tv. ps3 media server is well the media server..
PMS 1.90.2 SNAPSHOT - HP Proliant Microserver N54L 2.2Ghz - Windows Home Server 2011 (64bit) 8GB - Bravia KDL55HX750
mazey

Postby RoDnSuE » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:02 pm

THANK YOU BOTH! I really felt stupid for asking the questions but I have tried so many things I was beginning to doubt my sanity :-)
I just can't seem to get the TV to show the folders. PS3 media server shows a good connection but when I open the VIA media center, I never see my selected folders.
I will keep trying.

Thanks again,
Rod
RoDnSuE

Postby RoDnSuE » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I might have found my problem. My E1000 router is not DLNA compliant. Might be time for an upgrade. :-)
RoDnSuE

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm

RoDnSuE wrote:Question #2
What is the definition of a renderer? Is a renderer the TV itself in this case?

Yes indeed.

PMS serves media to some device that renders it. In your case the device is a TV, but you could also stream to a media box (e.g. the Horizon) or to a console (e.g. the PS3). Heck, you can even stream to a another program (e.g. XBMC)! ;-)

That's why we rather use the generic term "renderer".
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby RoDnSuE » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:03 am

Thanks for the reply. I HOPE I have found my problem. The router I'm using is a Cisco E1000. According to Cisco tech support, it is NOT DLNA compliant. Although I have found others that say the router shouldn't make a difference since it is just passing along whatever data is suplied to it. I'm of the mindset that it would matter, but I really don't know.

I have a D-link DSL-2750B that I'm going to try. All the specs I have found for it don't specifically say that it is DLNA compliant but at least it has NAS which might or might not work. I have a 1Tb USB drive to piar up with it so we will see.

Thanks again,
Rod
RoDnSuE

Postby SeaFox » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:43 am

RoDnSuE wrote:Thanks for the reply. I HOPE I have found my problem. The router I'm using is a Cisco E1000. According to Cisco tech support, it is NOT DLNA compliant. Although I have found others that say the router shouldn't make a difference since it is just passing along whatever data is suplied to it. I'm of the mindset that it would matter, but I really don't know.

There's no such thing as a "DLNA Compliant Router" There are router's with built-in DLNA capabilities, but that's something else entirely.

I'm running PS3 media server from a Core i7 920 to two blu-ray players, one wireless and one wired -- on a Linksys WRT54G.

I imagine the people you were speaking to at Cisco's support didn't even know what DLNA was and just told you it wasn't compliant because they didn't see it on the bullet list of features for the model. It's easier for them to say it can't do something because it's not designed to than say it shouldn't be an issue and then have to figure out why its not working.
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Postby RoDnSuE » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks. Back to the drawing board I guess. NOTHING has worked so far to get the VIA media widget to show the server. I don't really know what else to try.
RoDnSuE

Postby SeaFox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:58 pm

For shits and grins I've been perusing the owner's manual for your TV, and I don't think it supports DLNA. You called Vizio and "confirmed with Vizio that it is DLNA compatible & It will play AVI & MP4 videos via a USB memory stick". The problem is playing things over DLNA and playing things from a thumb drive are two completely different things. I think you were just the victim of the same issue with when you asked for help from the router people, on in this case the Vizio rep is mistaking DLNA for their file playback features. It's very telling I can do a search of the entire manual for the TV and not find the phrase "DLNA" once.

Also, I saw these restrictions on the manual:
  • The USB thumb drive must be formatted as FAT32.
  • Files on the USB thumb drive must end in a supported file extension (.mp3, .jpg, etc).
  • The player is not designed to play media from external hard drives or mp3 players.
Note that there are no video formats mentioned. Also check out page 35 in the manual. There is a "Browse Music" button on the left of the interface that is used to "Toggle photos and music" (probably changes to "Browse Photos" when you're on the other side). Once again, no mention of videos. You might want to stick an actual mp4 video file on a flash drive and see if they were telling you the truth about even that. I recently had the opportunity to mess around with a Vizio blu-ray player at a friend's house. It had an Ethernet port and a USB port and said you could play back media on it, but we never could figure out how to get it to display any of the video files we had on the flash drive I'd brought with me.

Might want to check if there are additional "apps" you can download and add to the VIA widget, maybe DLNA is a feature you have to add separately.
If you decide to call Vizio back, ask them some really specific DLNA questions and you'll probably trip them up. Questions like "can I use more than one PC to stream files to my TV?" or "what's the recommended server software for DLNA?". If your TV supports DLNA they should be able to tell you what container formats, video codecs, and audio codecs are supported in video files. Something else that I noticed is not mentioned at all in your manual.

In any case, if it doesn't work out you can just get a BD player that DOES support DLNA for under a hundred easily to use with your TV.
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Next

Return to General Discussion