Audio/subtitle language priority

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Audio/subtitle language priority

Postby Gely » Mon May 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Hello!

Thanks for making this awesome program! Really loving it!

I'm having a hard time getting my priority to work. Right now this is what I written in my Audio/subtitle language priority list:

jpn,eng;eng,eng;eng,off

From my understand this states that the prio is:

1. japanese audio with english sub
2. english audio with english sub
3. english audio without any sub.

When I play a mkv file with multiple audio tracks (one of them being japanese, both when I check on my computer and transcode on the ps3) it always plays english audio with english sub.

btw, this is all on a win7 with almost default settings (change Mux all audio tracks from unticked to ticked to test).

If you want any more info just ask me! Hope someone can help me!
Gely

Re: Audio/subtitle language priority

Postby meskibob » Mon May 20, 2013 7:02 pm

You also need to configure the Audio language priority (should be near the Audio/subtitle language config)- https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... .conf#L588
You specify which audio should be played using the audio language priority, and then the audio/subtitle language config says for X language, play subtitles A, B, C, etc.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ExSport » Mon May 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Not true what I remember. It is enough to set audio/sub combination and it should work.
Maybe audio track in mkv is incorrectly tagged? Post mediainfo or full debug log in TRACE mode.
ExSport

Postby Gely » Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am

btw, I'm using a computer with 2500k, 8GB ram, Win7 64-bit. PMS version 1.81.0 and streaming om PS3!

Added my debug file aswell! (I think this should be trace since i changed in the logback from debug to trace. But if it isn't please tell and I shall try again!).

If there is anything more you need please tell :)

edit: Also notice that videos that usally have japanese as the first track on my computer VLC didnt have it on the media server.
Attachments
debug - Copy.rar
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Gely

Postby Gely » Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

I got it to work. Was like meskibob said. Had to change under "common transcode settings and then audio setting. Was a priority setting there aswell.

Thank you!
Gely

Postby ExSport » Tue May 21, 2013 12:32 pm

What did you have set in audio lang priority?
From log:
Parsing results: [CBM] Cowboy Bebop - Session 03 - Honky Tonk Women.mkv / container: mkv / bitrate: 1787348 / size: 330896793 / codecV: h264 / duration: 00:24:41.00 / width: 640 / height: 480 / frameRate: 23.976 / thumb size : 0 / muxingMode: null audio: id=0 / lang: en / flavor: english 5.1 surround sound / codec: aac / sf:48000 / na: 6 / bs: 16 audio: id=1 / lang: ja / flavor: japanese 5.1 surround sound / codec: aac / sf:48000 / na: 6 / bs: 16 sub: id=0 / lang: en / flavor: english subtitles / type: ASS
-------------------------------------
Looking for an audio track with lang: eng
Matched audio track: Audio: AAC / lang: en / flavor: english 5.1 surround sound / ID: 0
Searching for a match for: en with jpn and eng
Searching for a match for: en with eng and eng
Found a match: DLNAMediaSubtitle{id=0, type=ASS, flavor='english subtitles', lang='en', externalFile=null, externalFileCharacterSet='null'}

If the audio priority is not set, audio/sub combination should be used. If it is not set in your case then it seems some default value is used (post here pms.conf file) and it is EN in this case.
Then the jpn,eng combination at the first place is ignored. In this case defining "ja,en" in audio priority will fix it as you already wrote.
Nice find anyway, never spotted that using e.g. "en" in audio priority and "jpn,eng;eng,eng;eng,off" in audio/sub priority, that audio priority will influence the logic this way...should be fixed. Audio/sub combinations should have precedence when it is set.
ExSport

Postby meskibob » Tue May 21, 2013 12:51 pm

The audio language priority is engine independent (I believe it applies to most, if not all, engines), while the audio/sub priority setting is strictly MEncoder. I don't think there is really anything to fix, although maybe more clarification is needed...
Note: the default audio priority as listed in the PMS.conf file linked above is "eng,fre,jpn,ger,und", so if not configured, English audio will always be picked first.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ExSport » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm

meskibob wrote:The audio language priority is engine independent (I believe it applies to most, if not all, engines), while the audio/sub priority setting is strictly MEncoder. I don't think there is really anything to fix, although maybe more clarification is needed...
Note: the default audio priority as listed in the PMS.conf file linked above is "eng,fre,jpn,ger,und", so if not configured, English audio will always be picked first.

I agree but in this case MEncoder is used so I expected only audio/sub priority will be used (when defined, that it will have precedence because aud/sub priority is much more precise in configuration) but it seems not to be true so clarification will be helpful as you said 8-)
About the default priority: I don't have latest version installed so wasn't sure what default settings is right now (github link throws me an error due to our PROXY so wasn't able to check defaults there)
ExSport

Postby meskibob » Tue May 21, 2013 1:41 pm

They're actually covering different things, and I think there's just a misconception about the goal of the setting.
Take the following audio/subtitle priority configuration (just an example to highlight how the setting works, not a realistic configuration):
Code: Select all
eng,und;jpn,eng;jpn,und;und,eng;eng,off

This is not saying first play English audio with undetermined subtitles, then Japanese audio with English subtitles, etc.
It's actually saying (at least AFAICT): for English audio, first play undetermined subtitles, then no subtitles; for Japanese audio, first play English subtitles, then undetermined subtitles; and for undetermined audio, play English subtitles.
There is no direction from this setting for which audio to select; that is dictated by the audio priority setting that is applied across all the engines.

Edit: it looks like things have changed between the GUI (which explains how the audio priority applies across the different engines) and the default PMS.conf (which still lists the setting as MEncoder only).
In addition, while the conf does list the default audio priority list, it still has a note that the setting can be blank, in which case I'm not sure how things will work now for picking audio given the recent change.
I think a dev needs to clarify here, and probably the PMS.conf (and/or the GUI) needs to be updated.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support