Stop Skipping by Skipping PMS!?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stop Skipping by Skipping PMS!?

Postby XxRaVeNxX » Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 pm

So, video files skipping have been an issue...It was rectified partially by using a dual band router, and having one band for the PS3 and the other band for the computer, and changing the security from WEP to WPA.

But, before spending $100 on a new router needlessly...if I was to get a router that had USB support/(DLNA Certified Media Server), and just connected my external hard drive to this router...Would my skipping issues be resolved?
XxRaVeNxX

Re: Stop Skipping by Skipping PMS!?

Postby meskibob » Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Don't know, but why are you asking here?
The type of skipping (I'm assuming you mean stuttering) you're seeing can be caused by a variety of factors. Try following the FAQ to see if you can resolve it - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p42818
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby XxRaVeNxX » Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Well, I was asking here, as there are many knowledgeable people here when it concerns PS3 and streaming, and my issue was with PS3 Media server.

But, I fixed my issue...not sure what one thing it was...

Deleted the config file, which made the max bandwidth back to 110, not sure why it was at 0. Not sure if this matters, because I don't transcode many of my videos, which is why current bitrate is constantly at 0. What happens when the buffer gets full? Also, my peak bitrate is at 35 Mb/s, any harm at leaving it at 110? Does any of this matter if I don't transcode files, as the majority of my files are .avi format?

Downloaded some missing avisynth .dll file, and VLC media player, and made that(VLC) the default engine/streaming engine.

Deleted the corrupt cache. Why isn't 'enable the cache' on by default? Doesn't it quicken the loading the process?

Changed the MPEG to Good quality for HD Wifi *. And the audio setting to stereo, and removed the checkmark to keep ac-3.

Updated Java. I swear there's an update every week....

I know the biggest difference is when I hit square on the controller, I can move forward and backward in the movie, and at least get a thumbnail image, instead of no image...

We will see how long this lasts..

I also want to say most of my video files are HD blu ray rips...so it isn't true that you can't stream 720 video stutter free(for anyone else having issues, that comes across this)...

Edit: So, I'm checking out the videos that need to be transcoded, the ones with MeEncoder next to them, and there is no audio. Well there is background music and video...just no speech...What did I mess up?
XxRaVeNxX

Postby XxRaVeNxX » Tue May 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, besides my unanswered questions in the above post...the misses comes home, and it goes back to skipping.....WTF :evil:

If the issue was consistent...it would be easier to be pinpoint the issue...
XxRaVeNxX

Return to General Help and Support