HTTP 500 error

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: HTTP 500 error

Postby Raptor399 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:48 pm

spacca wrote:You've completely lost me. Assume I'm a 78 year old - I have no idea what you're on about.
A quick step-by-step guide would be appreciated :)

Sorry for the tech lingo. :-)

Here is the translation of what technomage was saying:

As you may know, PMS is a Java program. PMS uses external libraries to do some heavy lifting (e.g. inspecting media files to extract information from them), and one of these libraries is called JNA. Sometimes JNA needs to write a file to the Java temporary directory.

Now PMS runs as a certain user. If that user does not have enough permissions to write in the Java temporary directory, you may see the error that you are seeing.

A solution could be to find out where the Java temporary directory is, and then make sure that whatever user PMS is running as has permission to write there.

Another solution could be to define another directory as Java temporary directory by editing the file "PMS.bat" and add the flag "-Djava.io.tmpdir=" with a suitable directory, e.g. like this:

Code: Select all
start javaw -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\temp -Xmx768M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath update.jar;pms.jar net.pms.PMS

After that, use "PMS.bat" to start PMS.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby spacca » Sat May 18, 2013 1:15 am

Great, thanks guys. Appreciate the effort and explanation.
I consider myself a little tech savvy, but this was way over my head :)
spacca

Postby CodeHero45 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 am

Hi All,

I looked through some of the code and the dependencies and saw that JNA is required as stated in a post above. The problem was that JNA did not exist in the classpath specified in the PMS-x64.bat. I had to download the JNA jar from GitHub https://github.com/twall/jna

Once I downloaded the jar I put it in the root directory of PS3 Media Server and amended the bat file as shown below:
SET JVM_ARGS=-server -Xmx768M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath jna-4.1.0.jar;pms.jar net.pms.PMS

Now it is working correctly but it is important to remove the update.jar as it does not exist on the classpath.

I figured something happened that forced PS3 Media Server to go down a different code path where JNA is required. I state this because I never had this Jar on my system and it worked correctly for years.

Note I have not read through the entire implementation. If I am inaccurate with any of the statements I made, please correct me.

Thank you for the great work PS3 Media Server team.

Regards,
CodeHero45
CodeHero45

Previous

Return to General Help and Support