Media server is inconsistent - HELP PLEASE!

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Media server is inconsistent - HELP PLEASE!

Postby iaian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Like many others, my media server stopped working around the time of the last java update. I tried all the options that were discussed in this forum and some from other Mac forums and nothing was able to permanently solve the problem of no renderers being found. The problem I have, which I have not seen anyone else have is that on occasion (though very rare), the ps3 will be found and the media server works. This usually occurs if the mac and ps3 have been on for a long period of time. If I then switch off the media server and put it back on it will not find it again. This is very annoying as it always worked perviously 100%. Now I would say I'm lucky if it works 10% of the time.

I have since installed the updated version of ps3 media server which was made available earlier today. Once again the server is not working most of the time.

Similarly, my wireless printer has also stopped working (most of the time) though like the ps3 media server, will work on occassion. Could there be a problem with my network settings, wifi settings or something from the iMac end rather than the ps3 or software?

Thanks in advance for response.
iaian

Re: Media server is inconsistent - HELP PLEASE!

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 pm

We try to keep all knowledge about problems and their fixes in the FAQ:

FAQ: I cannot see PMS from my DLNA client!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby iaian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm

I think this may be what my problem is as I run Parallels. However I don't understand how I fix it!

PMS is bound to the wrong network interface:
You have multiple NICs enabled, and PMS automatically selected a NIC different than the one desired (e.g. on Mac OS X the program Parallels creates a virtual network interface "vnic1", or on Windows it somehow selected the "localhost" adapter).
Force the correct network interface under "Network settings".
iaian

Postby Raptor399 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 pm

iaian wrote:I think this may be what my problem is as I run Parallels. However I don't understand how I fix it!

PMS is bound to the wrong network interface:
You have multiple NICs enabled, and PMS automatically selected a NIC different than the one desired (e.g. on Mac OS X the program Parallels creates a virtual network interface "vnic1", or on Windows it somehow selected the "localhost" adapter).
Force the correct network interface under "Network settings".

• Start PMS
  • Select the tab "General Configuration"
  • Under "Network settings (advanced)", open the "Force networking on interface" pulldown menu.
  • Select an interface (e.g. "en0")
  • Click the "Save" button
  • Restart PMS

If this doesn't work, rinse and repeat until you have tried all network interfaces (leaving it blank is also an option!).
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to Mac OS X Support