Building for Raspberry Pi with the official Debian

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Building for Raspberry Pi with the official Debian

Postby bugmenot1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Something new?

Please make it working. The RPi is an excellent little thing and would be wonderful as a ps3 media server!
bugmenot1

Postby happy.neko » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:32 pm

For the time being hardware transcoding with RPi is marketing bullet point not available in real world tools like ffmpeg or mencoder. So any expectations of real-time transcoding with PS3MS even for SD videos are unrealistic. CPU is just too weak. TsMuxer is unavailable for ARM architecture (= RPi) so remuxing of mkvs is impossible too. Native streaming of files should be possible though more simple DLNA server like MiniDLNA is more appropriate for the task imho.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Sun May 05, 2013 4:11 am

Actually I evaluated pretty good results with PS3 Media Server + ffmpeg 1.2 + Oracle Java 8 Preview on Raspberry Pi. I used ffmpeg in remuxing mode (video + audio) and on first glance 720p files play very nice, no visible stuttering. So it may be considered as tsmuxer replacement. Audio streaming works nice too, no problems with FLACs on PS3.

By the way I have 512 Mb R-Pi model and I think this amount of RAM is bare minimum requirement with current PS3MS buffer implementation. Bad luck 256 Mb model owners.
happy.neko
Project Member

Previous

Return to Linux/Unix Support