MKV files won't play

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

MKV files won't play

Postby Triptych » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 am

Alright I have used PS3 media server for ages and never really had any issues with it but as of today when I went to watch something I get "Data Corrupt" but it will still load up the thumbnails for the files before not playing. I am running the latest version of PS3 Media Server and as far as I know the latest version of Java I can find for the iMac as well (running Lion).

This is what the log tells me.

[New I/O server worker #1-14] INFO 18:26:16.920 Starting transcode/remux of test.mkv
[Thread-55] WARN 18:26:26.916 Sending kill -14 to the Unix process: 498
[Thread-56] WARN 18:26:26.924 Sending kill -14 to the Unix process: 501
[New I/O server worker #1-14] ERROR 18:26:27.547 There is no inputstream to return for test.mkv [MEncoder]
[Thread-83] WARN 18:26:37.552 Sending kill -14 to the Unix process: 507
[Thread-84] WARN 18:26:37.552 Sending kill -14 to the Unix process: 510

It will be the same if I try TSmuxer as well. No idea what is going on as it worked fine last night. It will stream other formats fine (avi etc) but not MKV.
Triptych

Re: MKV files won't play

Postby Triptych » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 am

Ok i have managed to fix the problem and got all my files working again. If anybody else is having the same problem try this.

Goto Transcoding Settings
Select MEncoder from the left menu
Untick the box "Remux Videos With tsMuxer when possible instead of Transcoding".
Triptych

Postby fewilcox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 am

Thank you a thousand times. I dumped system-lagging TVersity for PS3 Media months and months ago but could never figure out why mkvs wouldn't work. I amazed, and thankful, that it turned out to be such a simple fix.
fewilcox

Postby nico1375 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:57 pm

I suppose it's possible to do so via the PMS.conf file? I'm on a headless server without X11 so I don't have a gui to modify those settings...
nico1375

Postby Raptor399 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:58 pm

nico1375 wrote:I suppose it's possible to do so via the PMS.conf file? I'm on a headless server without X11 so I don't have a gui to modify those settings...

Recently we updated the default PMS.conf to contain almost all options plus an explanation.
Maybe you will find it helpful.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby markalyn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 am

Thanks a million Tryptych! Your simple fix ended my major frustration! I was about ready to throw in the towel.
markalyn

Postby marshman500 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Hey there guys.

I know this is an old thread but if anyone could help me with a problem I have i would be very happy. I have some MKV files that I am putting through the PMS and some work and others do not.
The ones that do show up and I can see them and play them fine, with one exception. Sometimes they have no audio and forced subtitles over them.
Other times they do not even show up through the media server folder list.

They all play completely fine on my computer and WDTV media player I have in another room.
Any ideas why these files work, and some do not?? Is something going wrong during the transcoding or my settings?

I saw the suggested solution above but I do not have those options under my preferences.
I am running 1.8
I am on an iMac.

Thanks.
marshman500

Postby newtype06 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:41 am

I made an account just to help you. I was messing with the settings, and underneath MEncoder there is another title you can click on called tsMuxeR. Click on that, and then untick the checkbox that says "Force FPS parsed from FFmpeg in the meta file". I also for good measure clicked on "Common Transcode settings, in the same place you find MEncoder and tsMuxeR and unticked the checkbox that says "Remux DVD ISO video track (no re-encode) (AviSynth not supported). Seems to be working great! Cheers! :D
newtype06

Postby snyderthing » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:24 am

marshman500 wrote:Hey there guys.

I know this is an old thread but if anyone could help me with a problem I have i would be very happy. I have some MKV files that I am putting through the PMS and some work and others do not.
The ones that do show up and I can see them and play them fine, with one exception. Sometimes they have no audio and forced subtitles over them.
Other times they do not even show up through the media server folder list.

They all play completely fine on my computer and WDTV media player I have in another room.
Any ideas why these files work, and some do not?? Is something going wrong during the transcoding or my settings?

I saw the suggested solution above but I do not have those options under my preferences.
I am running 1.8
I am on an iMac.

Thanks.

This sounds suspiciously like a Cinavia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia issue. You may want to read up on that.
snyderthing

Return to Mac OS X Support