Aspect ratio on Panasonic TV

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Aspect ratio on Panasonic TV

Postby iodioz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi there,

I have a Panasonic TX-L32E5E TV LCD and run PMS on Mac. PMS works great with 720p and 1080p full frame files (1280x720 and 1920x1080), separate subtitles are shown correctly and everything works fine.

When I try to play 1:2,35 videos I notice some issues.

1) 1280x544 files are shown only on the left part of the frame with a strange behavior on the right and the aspect ratio is not maintained: 544 are stretched to 720. Subtitles are vertical stretched too.

2) SD 1:2,35 (e.g. 720x306) files are shown stretched to fit the 16:9 screen and subtitles are vertical stretched too.

Same thing happens with Serviio and Twonky. The only server that shows all the files correctly is Nullriver Medialink but guess what? It does'n shows subtitles even if embeded in MKV files.

Is there any specific setting for PMS to show the files in the correct aspect ration on a Panasonic TV?

Thanks in advance.
Piero
iodioz

Re: Aspect ratio on Panasonic TV

Postby ExSport » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:46 pm

https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... er/pull/98
It is the problem of TV itself. When file is streamed as is (AVI), TV shows correct AR but when file is remuxed or transcoded (mkv-->ts/mpg), TV will expand the picture to full screen also in case black bars are removed.
It can be fixed by transcoding only.
In PMS there is a bug which is described in link that AR fix is ignored. You can try using this fix by adding this line to custom params in Gui:
-vf expand=::::0:16/9:4,softskip

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16250&hilit=%2Csoftskip#p77116
Older MEncoder versions used softskip at the beginning with :1: part. New versions don't like it so we should use softskip at the end and :0: part. Without it subs are not rendered correctly.
ExSport

Re: Aspect ratio on Panasonic TV

Postby iodioz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks ExSport,

I followed your advices and all went fine. You rock!

Best.
Piero
iodioz

Return to General Help and Support