PMS 1.80.0 Won't Connect After Java Update OSX 10.6

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMS 1.80.0 Won't Connect After Java Update OSX 10.6

Postby Ultimate20 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 am

rajeevp wrote:
Hanoola wrote:Let me preface this with I'm a total noob but I'm going to share my experience nonetheless.

That said...I had this exact same problem...Java update 15 broke PMS 1.80 on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and I had no Time Machine to roll-back Java.There may be a simpler method, but I can confidently say the following steps restored my PMS completely.

Here's what I did:
1) Download dmg "Java for osx 1.6 update 14" from softpedia here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Uti ... Java.shtml
2) Backup and delete folder \System\Library\Java\ (this may be unnecessary)
3) Backup and delete folder \System\Library\Frameworks\JavaVM.Framework\ (pretty sure this is necessary)
4) Install Java from downloaded dmg (see step 1).
4b) If you continue to get the message that a newer version is already installed...maybe try keep deleting Java folders until the bugger succumbs to your will!

Cheers!

I'm not able to find JavaVM.Framework in the Frameworks folder

Likewise
Ultimate20

Postby demoetc50 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:45 pm

All this is magic to me. I have no real understanding but based on another thread I found a different solution.

1) I uninstalled PMS
2) Downloaded and installed a new copy.

This made no difference so I consulted the FAQ here and found a different thread. Based on that thread I then :

3) With the TV on I opened PMS and clicked on the General Configuration tab
4) Opened the Force networking on interface drop down menu and chose en0 because it looked my my IP address.

This cured the problem.
I have no idea why it worked but it worked and I am not sure if steps 1 and 2 are necessary or not or if it is necessary to have the TV on in 3 but the steps show worked for me.

Good luck

EDIT: Worked for a few hours but no longer works.
Last edited by demoetc50 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demoetc50

Postby KasparV » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:09 pm

For me I haven't been able to get it to work using the above described method; I am on Mountain Lion, don't know if that makes a difference, just pissed off I updated my mac this morning and aren't able to get PMS to work.

Also, according to my Java tab in System Preferences, I have version 1.7.0_21 of Java.
KasparV

Postby borgein » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 pm

KasparV wrote:For me I haven't been able to get it to work using the above described method; I am on Mountain Lion, don't know if that makes a difference, just pissed off I updated my mac this morning and aren't able to get PMS to work.

Also, according to my Java tab in System Preferences, I have version 1.7.0_21 of Java.

The above doesn't work for me either. I'm on Mountain Lion with 1.7.0_21 Java myself.
borgein

Postby puding » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:16 pm

DirkP wrote:Same issue here; 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7 w. OSX 10.8.3. After Java-update from appstore, PMS stopped working with the same error messages as posted in this thread. Both v 1.71.0 and 1.80.0 failed, be it with different error messages.

When I restored the contents of /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines with the contents found in my latest TimeMachine backup from before the update, PMS works like a charm again.

Something in the latest Java update does break the PS3 mediaserver.

I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and this works perfectly for me!

I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and this works for me!! Thanks both of you. But I dont know if this will mess up with Java on OS, but anyway I made a copy of the old Java, until PMS and/or Apple update anything, I will keep with the old file.

Thanks guys :D
puding

Postby KopyWrite » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:35 am

I'm on 10.7.5 and same issue here... I so wish I had my bloody Time Machine switched on... So is this likely to get fixed, is there anyway to uninstall the Java Update??
KopyWrite

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:21 am

Yes, I am trying to solve this problem in PMS.
If I find a solution, a new version will be released.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby jammnrose » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:30 am

I found a more legit way to fix the problem for now. I am running Mountain Lion, so I wouldn't try this unless you're also on Lion/Mountain Lion. (It should work for Lion, since the Java release/package I used is for Lion/ML.)

Option 1 (tested by me, I would recommend):
Download JavaForOSX2013-002.dmg, which I found here:
http://supportdownload.apple.com/downlo ... 13-002.dmg
or a mirror I made here:
http://bayfiles.com/file/OUfH/gkJu5R/Ja ... 13-002.dmg

You can verify the checksum from the official Apple lists if you're paranoid, here:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/securit ... 00000.html

One problem though, when you try to install it, it says a newer version is installed.
So to get around this, I used a nifty piece of software for the Mac called Pacifist; it lets you do various things with installer packages.
Get it here:
http://www.charlessoft.com/

After you install Pacifist, open it up.
Mount the JavaForOSX2013-002.dmg DMG and drag the JavaForOSX.pkg into the main Pacifist window.
In the new Pacifist window that opens up, select the top item in the list, "Contents of JavaForOSX.pkg".
Then click the "Install" item in the window...
During the install, it asks whether you want to merge, replace, or skip files... I chose to "Replace" any files it asked about (and you can check the box so it doesn't ask again for every file). This may take ~2-5 mins.

Option 2 (untested, but I think it will work):
For those of you that want a slightly easier way that doesn't require third party software, you can try this. YMMV, as I haven't tested this.
I extracted the contents of the main installer in the JavaForOSX2013-002.dmg with Pacifist. There are 4 sub-packages.
I uploaded the .zip here:
http://bayfiles.com/file/OUOH/ufCLK4/Ja ... ckages.zip

Just extract and install each package that was in the .zip. Order doesn't matter.
The main goal here is to bypass the version check, which I think is a function of the aggregate installer.

Now when I run: "$ java -version" in Terminal I get 1.6.0_43! Previously I had 1.6.0_45 after installing the "Java for OS X 2013-003" Apple update.
PMS 1.80.0 works for me now, and I'm pretty sure this will be the least hacky and least apt to break future (re)updates to Java. Checking for system updates even shows "Java for OS X 2013-003" as installable again!

Hope this works for you all until PMS code can be fixed. If you have issues getting this to work, I'll try to check back here.
jammnrose

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 am

I have committed a fix for this problem.

Please try the snapshot build and see if that solves the problem.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Adnako » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 am

Sorry, but I can't find pms.jar in
Code: Select all
/Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java

UPD:
Replaced /Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/repo/net/pms/pms/1.80.0/pms-1.80.0.jar
It works.
Adnako

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support