I have a question

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

I have a question

Postby cooltwou » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:44 am

when I am using this program though my PS3 & I am taking the media copying it to my PS3 & I click on the folder why does it say the amount of the files are greater than the total amount & also it list more files that are being copyed then there is in the whole folder
cooltwou

Re: I have a question

Postby cooltwou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 am

can somebody please answer this for me
cooltwou

Postby cooltwou » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 am

still need an answer here please
cooltwou

Postby meskibob » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 am

When you copy a folder, all sub folders, including virtual folders like the #Transcode# folder, are copied. Check the FAQ for more info on the #Transcode# folder.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby cooltwou » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:39 am

OK well is there a way I can set it up to where it only copys the media only
cooltwou

Postby cooltwou » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 am

well is there a way to fix it so it copys what you want it to copy meaning only the media nothing else
cooltwou

Postby ExSport » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am

Yes, don't copy whole folders but required files only ;)
ExSport

Postby cooltwou » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm

well that takes to long if there is a bunch of media files in the folder doing each one like I am doing now there has to be a way where it will just copy the media in the folder only nothing else
cooltwou

Postby ExSport » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Not possible with default settings because for every file PMS will generate many variants of it so if you will copy one folder with one file, it will copy also files in TRANSCODE folder:
- [NOENCODING] file --> original file without touch
- Remuxed file with tsMuxeR engine --> only container is changed (MKV->M2TS/MPG) so final size is similar , low CPU usage
- [MEncoder] files - it is transcoded file, it means CPU will be heavily used, size can grow 5x or more
Also if your file has more subs and audios, you will see many combinations of them so all will be copied ;)
TRANSCODE folder is here because not all renderers support all codecs/containers or can't switch between subs/audio so you can manually select them here.
Hint: If you will hide TRANSCODE folder in GUI and restart PMS, you will probably achieve what you need :mrgreen:
Edit:
Anyway as stated above, if file is not supported natively by your renderer, you can expect that copied files will take much more space than original ones because some or all of them can be transcoded(re-encoded) or remuxed.
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support